Our campus is completely wireless!
There are two wireless networks that you can connect to:
If you connect through jcu, you only get access through port 80 and 423. Whereas if you use jcuwpa2, you get full access. To log into jcuwpa2, use the network credentials that you would use to log onto a school computer.
Features of the JCU wireless network:
- Works with current wireless / wi-fi protocols – A, B, G, and N.
- Automatically adjusts for access point failures should any occur.
- Automatically notifies the Information Technology Services staff of any wireless system equipment failures.
- Allows more flexibility in access methods.
- Allows users to disable unauthorized wireless networking devices, such as wireless routers, that interfere with the operation of the network.
Recommended Wireless Cards
Our wireless system does not support all wireless cards. Users should look for a/b/g/n cards using 2.4GHz as well as 5GHz.
If you are purchasing a new laptop, please verify through the vendor that the laptop does not use Atheros card. We have noticed that some HP/Compaq, Lenovo, and Dell laptops are now using the Atheros cards. Ask for a different wireless card in your system if the Atheros card is installed by default.
We also recommend that you avoid wireless cards from NetGear, Belkin, DLink DWL-650+, and SMC.
Here is a list of some recommended cards:
- CISCO Aironet
- Lucent ORiNOCO PC Card Gold
- Intel 29xxABG
- Intel PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN PC Card
- Linksys Wireless (Subsidiary of CISCO)
- 3COM AirConnect 11Mbps Wireless LAN PC Card
- Dell TrueMobile 1180 (imbedded PCI card that comes in Dell laptop)
Steps you can take to improve your wireless performance:
Possible vendors are Microwarehouse (online), MicroCenter, and Best Buy (local).
- A dual band (2.4Ghz – 5Ghz) wireless network card for your laptop.
- Tablets, cell phones, and other wireless devices equipped with dual band (2.4Ghz – 5Ghz) wireless adapters are better options.
- Eliminate your own interference. Below are some devices that will degrade your wireless connection and performance.
- 2.4GHz cordless phones
- Wireless gaming controllers
- Bluetooth devices
If you have any questions, please contact the Information Technology Services Help Desk at 216.397.3005.