Click Here for JCU Gmail
If your question is not listed, please call the Help Desk at 216.397.3005.
What is Gmail?
Gmail is the Google-powered email service. The service offers built-in instant messaging, voice and video chat, mobile access, spam and virus protection, IMAP, and POP for each account.
- How do I access my JCU Gmail account?
- How do I log into my JCU Gmail account?
- What are the limitations on file sizes within the JCU Gmail account?
- Am I required to use my JCU Gmail account?
- Can I change my JCU Gmail account username?
- How do I change the “Sent From” name on my account?
- Can I merge information from my Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo, etc. account to my JCU Gmail account?
- Can I import contacts I already have into my JCU Gmail account?
- How do I find other JCU email addresses?
- Are there any issues with setting up IMAP access on an iPhone/Blackberry to my JCU Gmail account?
- How do I receive my Gmail messages on my BlackBerry?
- Are there any issues with using an iPod to access my JCU Gmail account?
- How do I set-up forwarding/vacation response for my JCU Gmail account?
- What happens to my existing forwards when I activate an JCU Gmail account?
- Can I use other email applications to view my JCU Gmail?
- What if I forget my password?
- How do I change my password?
- Where can I find additional help and information?
- Is my JCU Gmail account secure and private?
- How is my personal data used?
Type gmail.jcu.edu into your browser to access your account. (Do not put ‘www.’ in front of this address.)
The first time you access your Gmail account, you must use your Banner ID as your password. You can then reset the password to one of your choosing.
Your Gmail account has 25GB of storage. You can send and receive mail messages up to 25MB in size, including attachments.
Utilizing the JCU Gmail account guarantees that users will receive notices and messages from the University.
You can forward mail sent to the JCU Gmail account to an outside account at your own risk.
No. Your account username cannot be changed.
Follow the steps at this link to change the “Sent From” name on your account.
To transfer information from one account to another, users can either manually forward individual messages to JCU Gmail accounts or perform a bulk merge.
Note: We do not currently recommend or support the merging of JCU Gmail accounts with other accounts, such as Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc. If you choose to use Google’s Mail Fetcher service, you run the risk of your personal account being locked for excessive traffic.
Yes. See contact import help for details.
Utilize the JCU Online Directory to find other John Carroll addresses, and as you send messages from your JCU Gmail account, addresses are automatically added to your address book.
To set up IMAP on your iPhone/Blackberry, you must supply your full account username including the @jcu.edu and account password.
Before you can use the built-in email application on your iPhone/Blackberry to retrieve mail from your Gmail account you must log into Gmail from a computer and enable IMAP on your Gmail account:
- From a computer log into your JCU Gmail account.
- Open the account settings by clicking Settings at the top right (next to Help and Sign Out)
- In the Settings window, select Forwarding and POP/IMAP at the top
- In the IMAP Access section (should be the third section) select Enable IMAP if it is not already selected, and click Save Changes at the bottom.
- You should now automatically be returned to your inbox. You can sign out of gmail and close your browser at this time if you wish.
The Information Technology Services department will assist in activating your Blackberry on the new system. Call the Helpdesk (216.397.3005) and a ticket will be created.
iPod touches have to be on the jcuwpa2 wireless network to work with your JCU Gmail account.
If you would like to forward mail sent to your JCU Gmail account to an outside account (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail), you must manually set the forwards in your Gmail account.
When configuring access, be sure to enter in your full JCU email address as the user name. For example, a user name would be firstname.lastname@example.org instead of jwild13.
Contact the John Carroll Helpdesk by visiting us on the fourth floor of Rodman with a photo ID, or calling 216.397.3005.
You can change your password within your account settings.
Google’s computers process the information in your account for the purpose of providing an effective service (example: putting mail into folders, maintaining contact lists, etc.).