That is one of the most common questions asked by incoming and current students. Although there is not one specific, easy answer, JCU’s Information Technology Services (ITS) offers you these guidelines to help you with that decision.
Your computer should have the following:
- Operating System (OS): Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Chrome OS or Mac OS X 10.5 or higher
- Intel iCore processors or above
- 8GB RAM
- 150 GB Harddrive (128 GB SSD)
- 802.11g/n Wireless
- Most computers already come pre-installed with the network card in both PC’s and laptops. Make sure to check your machine before you purchase one.
Please note Online Students may also require the following:
- Webcam and Microphone
- High-Speed Internet Connection
- Recommended web browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Safari
- Internet Explorer is not a recommended browser at this time
We recommend you have productivity software such as…
- Microsoft Office 2016 available for free from Microsoft as a JCU student. To install Office 2016 on your personal computer, go to https://portal.office.com/.
- Login using your JCU email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your campus domain password (Same password that you use to log on to University’s computer or authenticate to Canvas).
- Click install now and you will be prompted to save an installer file from Microsoft appropriate for your operating system to your computer. After the download completes, launch the file to begin installation of Office.
- You will activate the software using your JCU email address (email@example.com) and your campus domain password (Same password that you use to log on to University’s computer or authenticate to Canvas).
- This will allow you to install Office 2016 on up to 5 devices at a time. This is for use with personal computers only.
For more helpful information from ITS, please check out our Get Started page.
If you have any other questions concerning what type of PC you should bring, please call the ITS Help Desk at (216) 397-3005.