We are excited to have you join the John Carroll community and look forward to welcoming you on campus. The documents below will help to ensure that your transition goes smoothly.

Documents required by John Carroll University

1. Enrollment Reservation Form: This form is used to officially confirm your personal details and, by sending this back to John Carroll, it signifies your official choice to enroll at JCU. You receive this once you have applied for, and been offered, admission. You may fill out and send a physical copy via fax to 1.216.397.4981 or by e-mail to enrollment@jcu.edu (you can find the electronic ERF here).

2. Financial Guarantee Statement: If you did not include a Financial Guarantee statement with your application for admission, it must be completed and submitted at this time, along with supporting documentation. Without this form, John Carroll cannot assure you have the funds to begin your studies and the University is not able to issue the appropriate paperwork for your student visa. Download the Guarantee statement here.

Documents required by U.S. Government
The following documents are required in order to obtain your student visa (F-1). You cannot enter the United States and begin studies without first obtaining this visa. This visa may be obtained through the U.S. Embassy. As a potential student you will need to schedule an interview with the Embassy in order to meet with an Embassy Official and discuss your educational plans. For more information regarding your visa and the below documents you can visit the U.S. Immigration website.

1. I-20 form: This form is issued by John Carroll University once you have confirmed your intent to enroll and completed a satisfactory Financial Guarantee Statement. This form must be taken with you to your embassy interview.

2. Online Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application, Form DS-160: Visit the DS-160 webpage to learn more about the DS-160 online process.

3. Sevis payment receipt, Form I-901: The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a system that enables U.S. immigration and customs to track and monitor schools and programs, and the  students, exchange visitors, and their dependents throughout the duration of approved participation within the U.S. education system. Proof of SEVIS fee payment is required in order to obtain a student visa.

4. A valid passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant’s intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions). If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must complete an application.

You will also want to have:

  • A copy of your Acceptance letter from John Carroll University. The JCU acceptance letter and packet must be taken with you for your embassy interview as proof of your offer of admission.
  • A copy of your Financial Guarantee Statement and supporting documentation, for example: bank statements. This is the same document required by John Carroll and a copy must be taken with you for your embassy interview.

Once you have completed all these steps and you have received your student visa, staff at John Carroll University will help you with all the next steps in your planning to come to Cleveland, Ohio. These details can cover everything from arranging flights, to completing forms regarding University housing. We will help you through this process to ensure your soft landing at John Carroll University to become a new member of our community.