Visa & Family Visit-Specific Questions

Q: What steps do I need to take to obtain a visa so I can study at JCU?
A: First, you will need to gain admission to John Carroll University. After you are admitted, you must confirm your intent to enroll. Then John Carroll University issues you the form I-20 needed to study in the United States.

When you have this form, you will need to pay the $200 SEVIS fee. After this fee is paid, you will be able to schedule an appointment at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. This process will primarily help you with obtaining your “F” visa. For further information concerning an F visa, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Q: What can I expect when I go to the U.S. embassy for my visa interview?
A: You will be asked questions about where you will study, what you plan to study, and how long your studies will take. The interviews typically last between 10 and 15 minutes. However, the questions a student is asked will vary from person to person and from country to country.

Q: How long does the visa application process take?
A: This varies from consulate to consulate. For example, in Beijing it takes 10 days to get a visa, while in Mumbai it may take 7 days. You can use the U.S. Department of State website to select the closest Embassy or Consulate to see the average wait time.

Q: When should I apply to get a passport?
A: You should get your passport as soon as possible. You need this document in order to obtain a student visa. Please see your local authorities to inquire about passport qualifications and processing times and fees specific to your country.

Q: Can my family come visit me at JCU? Will they need visas too?
A: Your family is welcome to visit you at John Carroll University. Depending on your country of origin, they may need at least a tourist visa to visit.