Candidates for undergraduate admission who officially reside in a country other than the United States must submit the following items before an admissions decision can be made. All necessary forms for entry to the United States to begin your studies must be sent to the Office of Admission at least sixty (60) days prior to the beginning of the semester for which the student intends to register for courses and begin studies at the university.

Steps to Applying

  1. Visit the Common Application website and complete the full application online with written essay/personal statement. A printed/paper version is also available from their site and on the JCU web site. There is no application fee for John Carroll associated with the Common Application. The essay/personal statement is part of the Common Application form and is not a separate requirement. View our JCU Application Guide for specific John Carroll advice and instructions on completing this application.
  2. Submit your official academic transcripts and secondary school records to John Carroll.
    Mail to:
    John Carroll University, Office of Admission
    1 John Carroll Boulevard
    University Heights, OHIO 44118-4581
    Important: Official transcripts of all secondary and post-secondary education must be sent. In cases where transcripts are in a language other than English, the original transcripts should be submitted along with an English translations and grading scale.
  3. Send official results of your most recent standardized testing. Grades from English classes or testimonials of English skills do not satisfy this requirement. International students are required to submit results of standardized tests from one or more of the following test(s):
    TOEFL (preferred minimum scores: 550 paper-based, 79 internet-based)
    IELTS (preferred minimum score: 6.5)
    Students comfortable with the English language can submit official results of standardized testing from either the College Board SAT or ACT in place of TOEFL or IELTS testing. Students not meeting our preferred minimum testing requirements may be asked to complete an additional in-person or Skype interview for admission consideration.
    Note: We will not admit any students who do not meet our test minimums for the Spring semester.
  4. Provide a copy of your passport. 

*If a copy of your passport is not available at the time of admission, our committee will still review your application for admission to the University as long as we receive items #1-3. Students who are accepted to the University will also be required to turn in a completed Financial Guarantee Statement. This statement and the copy of your passport are required in order for John Carroll to process and issue the necessary paperwork for students to obtain a student visa (I-20 or DS 20 19 forms).

Immigration laws require international students on an F-1 student visa to carry a full course of study in every semester of the academic year in order to maintain a valid visa status. For John Carroll, full-time status is defined as students with 12 or more credit hours (typically four courses per semester, each earning three credit hours).

Additionally, though not required for admission to the University, all students must have proof of health insurance before reporting to campus.