Student Applicants (for F-1) – Overview

Much of the information on this page is taken from the U.S. Department of State website with specific notes that will help you with the John Carroll process in particular that we have added. Source:

For the best student information about coming to the United States and pursuing your education at John Carroll University, you should visit the EducationUSA website created by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. At their website you can learn about many educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, country-specific opportunities for scholarships and financial aid, information on testing and much more. For a brief overview, you can also visit the article Basics on U.S. Visas.

The first step for a prospective nonimmigrant student is being accepted for enrollment in an established school which is SEVP certified. John Carroll is SEVP certified. Students coming to John Carroll University will be pursuing their studies full-time and applying for an F visa which is the appropriate category for our school.

  • Students should apply for admission to John Carroll University as early as they can to allow time for all the visa processes to occur.  You must be admitted to the University to take the next steps.
  • As soon as you are admitted, students are encouraged to apply for their visa early to provide ample time for visa processing. Students may apply for their visa as soon as they are prepared to do so.
  • Students should note that Embassies and Consulates are able to issue your student visa 120 days or less in advance of the course of study registration date. If you apply for your visa more than 120 days prior to your start date or registration date as provided on the Form I-20, the Embassy or Consulate will hold your application until it is able to issue the visa.
  • Students are advised of the Department of Homeland Security regulation which requires that all initial or beginning students enter the U.S. 30 days or less in advance of the course of study start/report date as shown on the Form I-20. John Carroll University will help you with the start dates. New international students will come to an orientation program and have time to learn the campus and meet many people at the school before the first day of classes.

Qualifying for a Student Visa

The Immigration and National Act is very specific with regard to the requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for the student visa. The consular officer will determine whether you qualify for the visa. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate that they properly meet student visa requirements, including:

  • Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence;
  • Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study; and
  • Intend to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study.

John Carroll University will help you with the first two requirements.

Keep in mind: There are no assurances that the issuance of visas can be given in advance. Therefore your final travel plans or the purchase of non-refundable tickets should not be made until a visa has been issued to you.