Application-Specific Questions

Q: Where do I send my application documents?
A: Please send completed application documents to:
John Carroll University
Office of Admission
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Heights, OH 44118

Q: What is a high school transcript?

A: A high school transcript is a record or marking sheet of each of your individual classes and the grades earned. This must be provided to the John Carroll (JCU) Office of Admission and submitted from the school itself to be part of your completed application materials.

Q: How do I know if I am a transfer student or a freshman student?
A: You are a freshman student if you have NOT attended any university level schooling and earned credits at the college level. If you have begun studies at the university level (beyond earning the equivalent of a high school diploma) then you will follow the process with JCU as a transfer student.

In reviewing your application for admission we will review all of your school transcripts and make the appropriate designation for you. Your status as either a freshman or a transfer student assists the University in determining the right level of courses for you to take as well as helping to form an advising plan for how long it will take you to earn a John Carroll degree.

Q: Some of the application forms ask for my Social Security Number. What is that? If I don’t have one, what should I write down?
A: Simply stated, Social Security Number (SSN) is a U.S. identification number for all U.S. citizens. If you are not a U.S. or dual citizen, leave this section blank. John Carroll will ask for a valid passport number for you later in the admission process, after you confirm your intent to enroll.

Q: May I submit photocopies of TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, or ACT test scores?
A: Yes (for undergraduate applicants only).

Q: If after reviewing the information in my financial section the university decides I do not have enough funds to be accepted, what other options do I have?
A: Acceptance to the university is not determined based on the financial situation of any student. The Financial Guarantee Form is utilized and has great importance when we issue the I-20 form, which is used to secure an F-1 visa (student visa).

Q: Who reviews the applications?
A: The Admission Committee, which consists of several people from John Carroll’s Office of Admission.

Q: How will I know that all of my application materials have been received by JCU?
A: You should list a valid e-mail address where we can communicate with you about your application for admission. You will receive an e-mail message at that account when all of your application materials are received and being reviewed.

Q: I haven’t heard if I’ve been admitted or not. What should I do?
A: Please e-mail anytime you have a concern about your status or if you have any questions.

Q: Will I need to interview with JCU as part of the application process? If so, what can I expect?
A: An interview is not required as part of the application process, but if possible, an interview can be very helpful for you to learn more about the many opportunities available to you at John Carroll University.

Test Scores

Q: I have very high test scores. Should I still write a personal statement and submit teacher evaluation forms?
A: The essay for admission will help us get to know you as a candidate for admission and have another measure of your writing ability. While the testing will help us assess your admission to the University, the personal statement (essay) that you write will also be used to help you to secure a merit-based scholarship.

Q: Can I submit my own country test scores in place of or in to addition to the tests you list (example: the Gao Kao results for Chinese students)?
A: You can send these scores in addition to your results of one of our required tests (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, or ACT). However, we will still need one of the required test results.

Q: My test scores are below average. Do I still have a good chance of being accepted?
A: When we evaluate applications, we look at the entire application in a holistic way, not only test scores. If everything else is above our averages and your writing sample is good, you can still be granted admission. A low test score by itself will not prevent admission.

Q: Do applicants with higher test scores have a better chance of being accepted than applicants with lower test scores?
A: When we evaluate applications, we look at the application file in a holistic way, not only test scores.

Q: Will I have a better chance of being accepted if I submit test scores for more than one type of test? For example, both IELTS and TOEFL?
A: The tests are different so you, as a student, may test better in one format versus the other. The more information we have about you will help us to determine whether you will be successful here at John Carroll, so additional test scores may be helpful.

Financial Aid

Q: Does John Carroll offer scholarships to international students?
A: Yes, International students are also eligible for all other University scholarship programs that are detailed on the university scholarship website. These scholarships can be combined.

Q: Is financial aid available to students who do not have sufficient funds?
A: International students are not eligible for our need-based aid programs, but are eligible for all of our merit-based aid. International students that cannot choose the University for financial reasons should be in contact with our Director of International Admission to discuss their circumstances in more detail.

Q: What additional funds will I need to live at the University after the tuition/housing/etc. is paid? For off-campus meals, transportation, laundry, healthcare, etc?
A: Students are billed directly for tuition, housing, and food all together, so the only added expenses will be books, school and personal supplies, laundry, health insurance, etc. Books will generally be $500 to $1,000 per semester; health insurance will approximately be $200 to $300 per academic year. The amount for the other expenses will vary depending on your activities each week, but tend to vary from $10 to $150 per week based on your choices and lifestyle preferences.