What is an immersion experience? Immersion experiences are 7-10 day structured trips to domestic and international locations where students are exposed to issues of poverty and injustice while experiencing unique cultures and environments. Students engage in direct service activities, participate in experiential learning, and make educational site visits – while living in the very communities that they are serving. The Immersion Program is rooted in five pillars: education, service, social justice, community, and spirituality. Program participants are invited to grow in each of these areas during the experience preparation, the trip itself, and the post-trip reflection. The Immersion Program is sponsored by Campus Ministry at John Carroll University.
What are the expectations of an Immersion Participant?
- Participate in all of the pre-trip preparation sessions. You can find an example of a preparation schedule here. Your participation in these activities is necessary for your group to develop community and to be knowledgable about your immersion location.
- Refrain from the consumption or purchase of alcohol during an immersion experience (INCLUDING students over the age of 21 or legal drinking age in respective country).
- Refrain from the use of electronics (ie. i-Pods, cell phones, etc.). Demonstrate appropriate and respectful use of digital cameras, video cameras, and other recording devices during the trip.
- Participate in the post-trip reflection day and any other activities coordinated by the student coordinators.
**Please note a student may NOT participate in a May immersion experience if he or she is planning to enroll in a course in summer session I.
What are the different immersion experiences being offered? Click here to see which experiences are being offered over the next school year.
Applications are now available for January 2017 immersion experiences. Applications are due by Friday, February 26, 2016 at 5:00pm (Friday before Spring Break).
STEPS FOR APPLYING
- Review details of the offered experience locations
- Attend an information session (all applicants who have not previously participated in an immersion experience MUST attend an information session) held at the following times:
- Friday, February 19, 3:00pm – LSC Conference Room
- Tuesday, February 23, 5:00pm – LSC Conference Room
- Wednesday, February 24, 5:00pm – LSC Conference Room
- Access the student participant essays and prepare your responses
- Complete the online application – application is due by Friday, February 26th at 5:00pm!
- Sign up for and attend a brief interview (you will receive link to sign up for the interview once you complete your application)
QUESTIONS? Please contact Andy Costigan, Coordinator of Immersion Experiences.