What is an immersion experience?
Immersion experiences are 7-10 day structured trips to domestic and international locations where students are exposed to issues of poverty and injustice while experiencing unique cultures and environments. Students engage in direct service activities, participate in experiential learning, and make educational site visits – while living in the very communities that they are serving.
The Immersion Program is rooted in five pillars: education, service, social justice, community, and spirituality. Program participants are invited to grow in each of these areas during the experience preparation, the trip itself, and the post-trip reflection.
The Immersion Program is sponsored by Campus Ministry at John Carroll University.
What are the expectations of an Immersion Participant?
- Participate in all of the pre-trip preparation sessions. You can find an example of a preparation schedule here. Your participation in these activities is necessary for your group to develop community and to be knowledgable about your immersion location.
- Refrain from the consumption or purchase of alcohol during an immersion experience (INCLUDING students over the age of 21 or legal drinking age in respective country).
- Refrain from the use of electronics (ie. i-Pods, cell phones, etc.). Demonstrate appropriate and respectful use of digital cameras, video cameras, and other recording devices during the trip.
- Participate in the post-trip reflection day and any other activities coordinated by the student coordinators.
What are the different immersion experiences being offered?
Click here to see which experiences are being offered over the next school year.
Important note for applicants:
If you have never participated in a JCU immersion, you are required to attend an immersion information session as a part of your application. Information sessions will be offered this semester in the LSC Conference Room according to the following dates/times:
- Wednesday, October 1 at 2:00 PM
- Friday, October 10 at 3:00 PM
- Tuesday, October 14 at 6:00 PM
IMPORTANT DATES FOR APPLYING (SPRING BREAK AND MAY 2015):
- Participant Online Applications Available: September 24, 2014
- Participant Applications Due at 5:00 PM: October 16, 2014
- Participant Interviews (required): October 22 & 23, 2014
- Immersion Placements Communicated: Week of November 3, 2014
- Commitment Forms Due: November 12, 2014
QUESTIONS? Please contact Andy Costigan, Coordinator of Immersion Experiences.