What is an immersion experience?
Immersion experiences are 7-10 day structured trips to domestic and international locations where students are exposed to issues of poverty and injustice while experiencing unique cultures and environments. Students engage in direct service activities, participate in experiential learning, and make educational site visits – while living in the very communities that they are serving.
The Immersion Program is rooted in five pillars: education, service, social justice, community, and spirituality. Program participants are invited to grow in each of these areas during the experience preparation, the trip itself, and the post-trip reflection.
The Immersion Program is sponsored by Campus Ministry at John Carroll University.
What are the expectations of an Immersion Participant?
- Participate in all of the pre-trip preparation sessions. You can find an example of a preparation schedule here. Your participation in these activities is necessary for your group to develop community and to be knowledgable about your immersion location.
- Refrain from the consumption or purchase of alcohol during an immersion experience (INCLUDING students over the age of 21 or legal drinking age in respective country).
- Refrain from the use of electronics (ie. i-Pods, cell phones, etc.). Demonstrate appropriate and respectful use of digital cameras, video cameras, and other recording devices during the trip.
- Participate in the post-trip reflection day and any other activities coordinated by the student coordinators.
What are the different immersion experiences being offered?
Click here to see which experiences are being offered over the next school year.
What does the application process consist of?
- All participants are REQUIRED to attend an Immersion Information Session (times listed below) as a part of the application process if they have not participated in a JCU Immersion Experience before.
- Online Application (Coming soon) (click here to preview the essay questions prior to beginning the online application)
- Participant Interview - upon submitting your application you will recieve a link to sign up for a 15-minute interview time slot
IMPORTANT DATES FOR APPLYING (January 2015 and Nepal [May] 2015):
Monday, March 10, 2014 – Participant Online Applications Available
Information Sessions (MANDATORY)
- Wednesday, March 12 at 2:00 PM in the Murphy Room
- Friday, March 14 at 4:00 PM in the LSC Conference Room
- Tuesday, March 25 at 7:00 PM in the Murphy Room
Wednesday, April 2, 2014 – Participant Applications Due at 5:00 PM
April 9, 10, 11, 2014 – Participant Interviews
Thursday, April 17, 2014 - Immersion Placements Communicated
Friday, April 25, 2014- Commitment Forms Due
- CLICK HERE to access the Participant Commitment Form.
QUESTIONS? Please contact Andy Costigan, Coordinator of Immersion Experiences.