To: The John Carroll Community
From: Charles “Bud” Stuppy, Director, Human Resources
Re: Notice of New Health Insurance Marketplace
Please review the following voluntary notice of the new Health Insurance Marketplace established by the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act:
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), commonly referred to as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) or Obamacare, is a United States federal statute signed into law in March 2010. The ACA aims to increase the quality and affordability of health insurance, lower the number of Americans without insurance, and reduce the costs of healthcare for individuals. It provides a number of mechanisms, including mandates, subsidies and on-line Health Insurance Marketplace Exchanges, to increase coverage availability and affordability.
- Beginning October 1, 2013, the Health Insurance Marketplace will be available.
- If you are currently covered under one of JCU’s health plans or some other health insurance, you are not required to purchase insurance coverage through the Marketplace.
- If you are not eligible for insurance through JCU, and you are not covered elsewhere, you will need to obtain insurance for January 1, 2014 through the Marketplace or other sources or incur a possible tax penalty.
- The University will continue to offer group health coverage options.
- The Department of Labor’s notice provides you with important information to review your options regarding the Marketplace. You can find the notice here: JCU Exchange Notice.
More information on the ACA and the Health Insurance Marketplace is available at www.healthcare.gov. If you have further questions on this notice or on any benefits offered by the University, please contact Ryan Armsworthy at x1576”