SHP Important Dates: 2017-18
Celebration of Scholarship Application Due: March 2, 2018
All Honors students are required to complete a Senior Honors Project (SHP), which entails independent study and research under the direction of a faculty advisor. Approval of the advisor, of the director of the Honors Program, and of the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences is required. Students are encouraged to use a senior research project, done within their major, to complete their SHP. If no course is available in the major, students may also complete their SHP by enrolling in HP 450 on a pass/fail basis. For details about the Senior Honors Project, please see the following links:
I. GETTING STARTED — take a look at these documents first.
- Senior Honors Project Handbook 2015 (Class of 2018 – please note that some requirements & processes will be changing this year. You can still use this book as a reference, but watch for changes as we begin to transition to a new SHP process.)
- Getting Started: The Rationale, Standards, and the Process of Project Selection of the Senior Honors Project
- Information for Advisors
II. WRITING YOUR PROPOSAL —
- Proposal Guidelines
- Library of Sample Proposals
- Having trouble getting traction on your proposal? Consider enrolling in HP 349, the 1-credit Senior Honors Project proposal-writing course. This is offered every semester.
III. SUBMITTING YOUR PROPOSAL —
- Application (Please use this form as the cover sheet for your Senior Honors Project proposal. It must be submitted with signatures and attached to the final hard copy of your proposal.)
- Submitting Proposals to the Institutional Review Board — required for all proposals involving any kind of primary research on living (animal or human) subjects. (If you think this may apply to you, you may wish to discuss your project with the Office of Sponsored Research to be sure.)
III. SUBMITTING YOUR FINAL PROJECT —
- Completed Senior Honors Projects in Carroll Collected
- Assessment Rubrics for the Senior Honors Project
- Information on Final Submission of the Senior Honors Project
- Senior Honors Project submission form – please fill out this form and use it as your title and approval page for the final submission of your project. (Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have trouble downloading or using this file.)
IV. DISSEMINATING YOUR RESEARCH —
- All Senior Honors Projects must be disseminated publicly in order to meet Program requirements. Most students choose to present their work at JCU’s annual academic conference, Celebration of Scholarship, in mid-April. Others choose to publish their work in academic journals or present at conferences in their discipline.
- ALL Honors Program seniors must complete a “dissemination intent form.”
- See the media gallery below for photos of the Celebration of Scholarship presentations of Senior Honors Projects by the Class of 2015.
- More photos of SHP paper presentations are available on the Honors Program Twitter feed! Follow us at @JCUhonors.