All Honors students are required to complete a Senior Honors Project (SHP), which entails independent study and research under the direction of a faculty advisor. Approval of the advisor, of the director of the Honors Program, and of the dean of the College of Arts and Sciences is required. Students are encouraged to use a senior research project, done within their major, to complete their SHP. If no course is available in the major, students may also complete their SHP by enrolling in HP 450 on a pass/fail basis.
For details about the Senior Honors Project, please see the following links:
I. GETTING STARTED — take a look at these documents first.
- Senior Honors Project Handbook 2015
- Getting Started: The Rationale, Standards, and the Process of Project Selection of the Senior Honors Project
- Information for Advisors
II. WRITING YOUR PROPOSAL —
- Assignment Calendar (This is not required but may be a helpful tool for plotting your research)
- Proposal Guidelines
- Library of Sample Proposals
- Having trouble getting traction on your proposal? Consider enrolling in HP 349, the 1-credit Senior Honors Project proposal-writing course. This is offered every semester.
III. SUBMITTING YOUR PROPOSAL —
- Application Form (Please use this form as the cover sheet for your Senior Honors Project proposal. It must be submitted with signatures and attached to the final hard copy of your proposal.
- Submitting Proposals to the Institutional Review Board — required for all proposals involving any kind of primary research on living (animal or human) subjects. (If you think this may apply to you, you may wish to discuss your project with the Office of Sponsored Research to be sure.)
III. SUBMITTING YOUR FINAL PROJECT —
- Completed Senior Honors Projects in Carroll Collected
- Assessment Rubrics for the Senior Honors Project
- Information on the Final Submission of the Senior Honors Project
- SHP Submission Form – please fill out this form and use it as your title and approval page for the final submission of your project.
IV. CELEBRATING YOUR ACHIEVEMENT —
See the media gallery below for photos of the Celebration of Scholarship presentations of Senior Honors Projects by the Class of 2015.
More photos of SHP paper presentations are available on the Honors Program Twitter feed! Follow us at @JCUhonors.