Some Fun Facts About Fraternity and Sorority Members:
- The Greek system is the largest network of volunteers in the U.S., with members donating more than 10 million hours of volunteer service each year.
- Every U.S. president and vice president, except two in each office, born since the first social fraternity was founded in 1825 have been members of a fraternity.
- There are 123 fraternities and sororities with nine million members total.
- A U.S. Government study shows that over 70 percent of all those who join a fraternity/sorority graduate, while under 50 percent of all non-fraternity/sorority persons graduate.
- Over 85 percent of the student leaders on some 730 campuses are involved in the Greek community.
- In the past five years, more than 100 colleges and universities have opened their doors for the first time to fraternities.
- Of the nation’s 50 largest corporations, 43 are headed by Greeks.
- 85 percent of the Fortune 500 executives belong to a Greek organization.
- 40 of 47 U.S. Supreme Court Justices since 1910 were Greek.
- 76 percent of all Congressmen and Senators belong to a Greek organization.
- 63 percent of the U.S. President’s Cabinet members since 1900 have been Greek.
- A National Conference report shows a high percentage of the 4,000 NIC fraternity chapters are above the All-Men’s scholastic average on their respective campuses.
- Less than two percent of an average college student’s expenses go toward fraternity/sorority dues (U.S. Office of Education).
Source: University of Wisconsin & Bowling Green State University