The School-Based Master of Education program is designed for individuals with a baccalaureate or higher degree, who seek licensure in one of the following areas: Early Childhood (PreK through grade 3), Middle Childhood (grades 4 through 9) and Adolescent/Young Adult (grades 7 through 12).

The master’s degree course of study is a 40-46 credit hour program at the graduate level, including the six-semester hour teaching internship. Coursework is divided between the department and the participating schools and requires attendance during one summer and the following full academic year. The coursework is taken on a full-time basis and includes a full-day internship at one of the school sites. Prerequisite courses necessary for licensure may extend the program beyond one year for some students.

The School-Based program is designed for students with strong academic backgrounds in a liberal arts course of study. For all licensures, state standards require 30 hours of “general education” coursework. This requirement is normally met through the baccalaureate degree and must include coursework in humanities (art history, classical languages, communications, English, modern languages), social sciences (economics, history, political science, sociology), science, and mathematics. A student must take appropriate courses to make up deficiencies before being recommended for licensure.

Students seeking Middle Childhood licensure will require two areas of concentration.

For those students seeking the Adolescent/Young Adult licensure, the bachelor’s degree must have coursework to fulfill the requirements in one of the following six licensure areas: Integrated Language Arts, Integrated Social Studies, Integrated Mathematics, Chemistry/Life Science, Life Science, or Physical Sciences: Physics, Chemistry, Chemistry/Physics.

Learning Goals for Graduate Education Programs


  1. Understands the contexts of professional practices.
  2. Demonstrates accuracy, organization, and persistence in achieving intellectual and professional goals.
  3. Contributes to the school, district, and the broader professional community.
  4. Engages in systematic inquiry.

Learner Development:

  1. Assumes responsibility in data-based decision-making and helps to ensure that decisions are based on the highest professional standards.
  2. Demonstrates knowledge of clients/students.


  1. Demonstrates knowledge of content and pedagogy.
  2. Demonstrates knowledge of resources.
  3. Designs coherent, evidence-based interventions.
  4. Establishes favorable conditions for instruction and intervention.
  5. Uses knowledge of communication techniques to foster collaboration and supportive interactions.


  1. Takes initiative in assuming leadership roles.
  2. Initiates activities that contribute to the profession.
  3. Seeks out opportunities for professional development and growth.
  4. Actively participates in professional events and projects.
  5. Challenges negative attitudes and practices; is proactive in serving clients/students/colleagues.
  6. Assists and supports fellow professionals.

Admission Requirements
Admission decisions are based on the following:

  • Details on the application process can be found at this link!

1.  When does the program begin?
All students begin the School-Based M.Ed. program in mid-May during the Summer I session. The program is designed for a cohort of students who proceed through the program together.

2.  Do I have to take coursework on a full-time basis?
Yes, coursework is scheduled for full-time students only. The combination of academic studies with the year-long immersion into school culture affords many opportunities to blend theory with practical application.

3.  If my professional or personal responsibilities don’t allow for a full time program, can I still seek teacher licensure through John Carroll University?
The Professional Teacher Initial Licensure program is another options. The Professional Teacher Initial Licensure program can be accomplished through either part-time or full-time study, with most coursework offered in the evening. It is a master’s degree program.

4.  Must I take courses to remediate deficiencies in my undergraduate education in order to meet licensure requirements, before I am officially accepted into the program?
Once a transcript has been evaluated, any deficiencies in coursework will be communicated directly to the applicant. If he or she plans to continue the application process, a plan for completing required courses should be discussed with the program coordinator. Enrolling in such coursework before acceptance into the program does not guarantee final acceptance.

5.  May I choose the school site for my internship?
After interviewing at the University, and assuming internship positions are still available at all school sites, the applicant may select the schools with which to arrange interviews. If offered internship positions at more than one site, the applicant may choose the location for the internship. The $475 deposit serves to hold the spot.

6.  Are all of the courses taken at the University?
Due to the collaborative nature of the program, courses are taken both at the University and at the individual school site. Summer courses are taken at the University. During the Fall semester, some courses are taken at the school site (largely during the school day), while additional courses are taken in the late afternoon or evening at the University. During the Spring semester, all courses are taught at the school site.

7.  Is there an application deadline?
Applicants are encouraged to submit all application materials to the Office of Graduate Studies as soon as possible. Completed files are sent to the Department of Education and School Psychology where your interview will be scheduled. Interviews at the school sites begin during the winter and only continue until internship positions are filled.

8.  Are there any scholarships available?
All students are awarded a 33% tuition scholarship, significantly reducing student tuition in the program.

9.  Is financial aid available?
Yes. Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies for information.