The mission of the Department of Education and School Psychology is to provide educational leadership for a more just society in schools and community agencies. To focus on that, the department is committed to the following outcomes:
- To provide professional education in a liberal arts context.
- To uphold traditional values yet be responsive and sensitive to society’s changing needs.
- To focus on the personal as well as professional development of the individual.
Programs of Study
Master of Education degree programs in the following areas:
- Initial teacher license
- School-Based Program
- Professional Teacher Program
- Educational psychology
- School psychology
- Advanced studies
Master of Arts programs are offered in the same areas listed above (with the exception of Initial teaching licensure) and designed to meet the needs of students primarily interested in research-oriented programs.
Post master’s degree programs in the following areas:
- School psychology
- Principal licensure – under development
Endorsement programs in the following areas:
- Understands the contexts of professional practices.
- Demonstrates accuracy, organization, and persistence in achieving intellectual and professional goals.
- Contributes to the school, district, and the broader professional community.
- Engages in systematic inquiry.
- Assumes responsibility in data-based decision-making and helps to ensure that decisions are based on the highest professional standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of clients/students.
- Demonstrates knowledge of content and pedagogy.
- Demonstrates knowledge of resources.
- Designs coherent, evidence-based interventions.
- Establishes favorable conditions for instruction and intervention.
- Uses knowledge of communication techniques to foster collaboration and supportive interactions.
- Takes initiative in assuming leadership roles.
- Initiates activities that contribute to the profession.
- Seeks out opportunities for professional development and growth.
- Actively participates in professional events and projects.
- Challenges negative attitudes and practices; is proactive in serving clients/students/colleagues.
- Assists and supports fellow professionals.