The Department of Counseling offers master’s degrees in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling. Both programs are CACREP accredited.
- The Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is 60 semester hours and meets the academic requirements for licensure as a Professional Clinical Counselor (PCC) in the State of Ohio.
- The School Counseling program is 48 semester hours and leads to licensure in the State of Ohio as a school counselor.
Program Learning Goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of the major principles of research design and program evaluation; evaluate research reports for methodological and statistical appropriateness.
- Apply basic counseling and facilitative communication skills in individual and small group settings.
- Demonstrate an understanding of counseling theories, and evidence-based counseling approaches. Appropriately apply various theoretical approaches when working with clients and/or students.
- Demonstrate understanding of the psychosocial foundations of human development, behavior and learning, and apply that knowledge when working with clients and/or students.
- Counsel and advocate for individuals from diverse social, cultural, sexual orientation and economic backgrounds with an awareness of how discrimination and societal expectations can impact healthy psychological development and the counseling process.
- Demonstrate knowledge of group process and procedures by describing and analyzing group process, and by applying basic techniques of group counseling.
- Conduct a developmentally appropriate career exploration and assessment that demonstrates an understanding of career development theory and the career counseling process.
- Demonstrate the ability to select and evaluate assessment instruments for possible use with clients and/or students.
- Model legal and ethical understanding of the ASCA or ACA ethical standards. Demonstrate knowledge of the appropriate ethical code and of the ethical decision making process.
JCU also offers a graduate certificate in Spiritual Wellness and Counseling designed for pastoral care, mental health, and medical professionals.