John Carroll University has been approved by the Ohio Department of Education to offer the new Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement. This new endorsement will be valid for teaching grades 4 and 5. Successful completion of the Praxis II exam is also required.
- Valid Pre K through grade 3 Teaching License.
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.75.
- A completed application.
- Official transcript for the highest degree received.
- ED 432: Middle School Education Philosophy and Instruction
- ED 424A: Middle Childhood Curriculum and Content Methods in Math and Science
- ED 424B: Middle Childhood Curriculum and Content Methods in Social Studies and Language Arts
* Upon completion of this coursework, teachers will take the appropriate Praxis II examination and apply for the endorsement through JCU’s Department of Education and School Psychology.
* In consultation with a faculty advisor in the Department, students may apply these courses toward a Master’s in Education. Additional admission requirements will need to be met for acceptance into the degree program.
Middle Childhood Curriculum And Content Methods In Mathematics And Science (ED 424A): 3 credit hours. Methods for planning and implementing curriculum with an emphasis on integration and assessment. Substantial online component.
Middle Childhood Curriculum And Content Methods In Social Studies And Language Arts Ed (424B): 3 credit hours. Methods for planning and implementing curriculum with an emphasis on integration and assessment. Substantial online component.
Middle Childhood Education Philosophy And Instruction (ED 432): 3 credit hours. The historical development, goals, philosophy, and mission of middle-grades education. The planning and managing of developmentally and culturally responsive instruction and the use of organizational elements such as interdisciplinary team, flexible scheduling, and grouping. Includes middle-grades field experience. For Post-Bac M.Ed. and School-Based M.Ed. Program candidates only.
- Tuition scholarships are available to all licensed teachers. The scholarship will reduce tuition for graduate courses by 33%.
- The University’s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid offers assistance on student loans.