John Carroll University has been approved by the Ohio Department of Education to offer the Early Childhood Generalist Endorsement. This endorsement will be valid for teaching grades 4 and 5. Successful completion of State requirements of 50 hours of field experience and passing State exam is also required.
- Valid Pre K through grade 3 Teaching License.
- An undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 2.75.
- A completed application.
- Official transcript for the highest degree received.
- ED 432: Middle School Education Philosophy and Instruction
- ED 424A: Middle Childhood Curriculum and Content Methods in Math and Science
- ED 424B: Middle Childhood Curriculum and Content Methods in Social Studies and Language Arts
* Upon completion of this coursework, teachers will take the appropriate State examination and complete of 50 hours of field experience and apply for the endorsement through JCU’s Department of Education and School Psychology.
* In consultation with a faculty advisor in the Department, students may apply these courses toward a Master’s in Education. Additional admission requirements will need to be met for acceptance into the degree program.
ED424A. MIDDLE CHILDHOOD CURRICULUM AND CONTENT METHODS: MATH/SCIENCE 3 cr.
Specific content-area methods for planning, implementing, and integrating curriculum, assessing student achievement, and teaching to individual differences. Focus on math and science content in grades 4 and 5. Includes grades 4-5 field experience.
ED424B. MIDDLE CHILDHOOD CURRICULUM AND CONTENT METHODS: SOCIAL STUDIES AND
LANGUAGE ARTS 3 cr. Specific content-area methods for planning, implementing, and integrating curriculum, assessing student achievement, and teaching to individual differences. Focus on social studies and English language arts content in grades 4 and 5. Includes grades 4-5 field experience.
ED432. MIDDLE CHILDHOOD EDUCATION PHILOSOPHY AND INSTRUCTION 3 cr. Historical development, goals, philosophy, and mission of middle-level education. Planning and managing, developmentally and culturally responsive instruction, and use of organizational elements such as interdisciplinary team, flexible scheduling, and grouping. Includes grades 4-5 field experience.
- Tuition scholarships are available to all licensed teachers. The scholarship will reduce tuition for graduate courses by 33%.
- The University’s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid offers assistance on student loans.