The five-year BA/MA in English is a program that allows undergraduate English majors at John Carroll University to complete both a BA and an MA in English in five years. The program is designed so that English majors meet all of the requirements for graduation in both degree programs. Students can apply for admission to the MA program in the spring of their junior year, begin taking graduate courses in their senior year, complete their undergraduate major in their senior year, and then complete the MA in their fifth year.
Since one course cannot be counted twice for two degrees, the courses taken for the MA degree may not draw upon courses taken for the BA. Therefore, MA courses taken while a senior undergrad must be in excess of the 128 credits necessary for the BA.
Tuition in the fifth year is the graduate per-credit tuition rate. There is a 25% discount in the fifth year for JCU 5th Year students.
Students should apply for conditional admission in the spring of their junior year, pending their final junior-year grades.
- A completed application.
- Two letters of recommendation with recommendation cover sheet.
- Personal statement that addresses the applicant’s interest in the program and career goals and experience.
- A writing sample.
- GRE scores are not required. However, students whose grades do not meet the minimum criterion may opt to submit a GRE score that may be used to help the student gain admission.
- A 3.0 cumulative GPA, with a 3.3 GPA in the English major.
- To maintain their acceptance in the program, students must graduate with a 3.0 GPA overall.