Center for Service and Social Action
- Hours and Wages – 20 hours per week in exchange for tuition and fees (excluding graduation fee) for up to 9 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters (a total of 18 credit hours) and a stipend paid twice per month (September-May).
- Full-time, matriculated, degree-seeking graduate student at John Carroll University
- Organizational skills
- Willingness to engage with and mentor college students
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
- Experience in a school based program or tutoring preferred
General Position Description: We the People is a Congressionally funded curriculum designed to encourage civic education and engagement among 4th-12th grade students. At John Carroll University, students enrolled in a variety of majors provide weekly instruction to 4th graders, 5th graders, 8th graders, and high school students in under-resourced urban schools. Currently 77 students serve as tutors in area schools where they serve approximately 500 students each semester.
Responsibilities for the Academic Year:
- Attend August Graduate Assistant Workshop
- Facilitate We the People service learning program by
– Working collaboratively with the Assistant Director of Program Development;
– facilitating assignment of tutors in service placements;
– assisting with trainings such as Service PLUS and pre-service orientation:
– supervising, guiding and supporting the work of undergraduate Student Coordinators;
– supporting the students in their weekly lesson planning;
– observing the tutors in the classroom;
– helping students process and make sense of their experiences;
– participate in the AR144 course at JCU, Wednesday evenings at 8pm;
– Assisting with the planning of the Youth for Justice Summit and Project Citizen Showcase;
– Assisting with the planning of the We the People Mock Congressional Hearing held on the JCU campus in May. The graduate assistant would be expected to work collaboratively with various offices on campus to implement and execute the Hearing, Showcase, and Summit.
- Anticipated Work Schedule:
Flexible; ideally will be available at different times to meet students’ needs as well as provide support to students in the classroom.
Dr. Margaret Finucane