Athletics – Sports Information
THERE ARE NO POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2014-2015
- Hours and Wages – 20 hours per week in exchange for tuition and fees (excluding graduation fee) for up to 9 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters (a total of 18 credit hours) and a stipend paid twice per month (September-May).
- Qualifications – Full-time, matriculated, degree-seeking graduate student. Must possess knowledge of and experience in the sports information field. Previous experience in a sports information office is desired. Must demonstrate ability to communicate in a positive manner with student athletes, coaches, and alumni.
Position Title: Athletic Assistant for Sports Information
Reports to: Sports Information Director
Description: The Sports Information Athletic Assistant will work with the Sports Information Director to enhance marketing and communication efforts for the Intercollegiate Varsity Athletic programs at John Carroll University.
- Webcasting – take a producer/director role in the overall production of web broadcasts. Training of assistants, oversee actual broadcast, and provide analysis following the event.
- Interviews of student athletes and coaches. Direct involvement in setting up and producing video interviews of JCU athletic personnel.
- Outside media relations. Work with entities such as Sports Time Ohio and local newspapers and radio stations to promote JCU’s presences in the desired markets.
- Communications with Alumni. Work with the SID to produce an electronic newsletter. Implement text message strategy to communicate news alerts and game scores to alumni.
- Communicate with current student body. Work with various constituencies on campus to effectively market athletic events. Serve as the liaison to the Carroll News and WJCU for promotional endeavors.
- Communication with recruits. Devise plans to reach out to recruits through the website. Correlate data from web hits on jcusports.com and distribute to interested parties.
- Talent development. Work closely with a designated group of students on staff in sports information to develop both broadcast and print talent. Identify candidates for these areas and utilize time in the office and at events to train.
- Manage event crews to run broadcast and set forth assignments for writers. Schedules for pre-game set up, in-game responsibilities and post game breakdown. Create a rotation of student assistants for interviews and production.
- Possess ability to communicate the Mission of the University and the Athletic Department Philosophy and Goals to student athletes. Demonstrate a commitment to University Mission and Athletic Department Goals and Learning Outcomes.
- Comply with all rules affiliated with John Carroll University and Division III of the NCAA.
- Average workload is 20 hours per week.
The Sports Information Athletic Assistant will be responsible for oversight of student work-study employees.
Ms. Gretchen Weitbrecht