What is a graduate assistantship at John Carroll University?
A Graduate Assistantship is meant to provide graduate students with opportunities to improve their skills in teaching and/or research and to offer practical experience while pursuing a graduate degree. A limited number of assistantships are available each year and are awarded to qualified students on a competitive basis.

What is the difference between a full time and part time graduate assistantship?
Full and part time graduate assistants are granted full tuition remission for courses that are part of their graduate program of study and a stipend. Full time assistantships require 20 hours of service per week to the department or program; part time assistantships require 10 hours of service per week.

What does a graduate assistant do?
Duties may involve classroom teaching, laboratory teaching, research, or non-teaching service.

How do I find out what graduate assistantship positions are available?
Click here for a complete list of graduate and athletic assistantship positions available for 2014-2015.

What do I need to apply for a graduate assistantship?
A complete application must include the following items:
1. Online application
2. Statement of purpose
3. Resume
4. Two letters of recommendation

Can I apply to more than one program or department for a graduate assistantship?
Yes, you may apply to more than one non-academic department. Academic departments offer assistantships only to those students seeking a degree in their department or program. In other words, you may apply for an assistantship in the department in which you are seeking a degree plus any non-academic departments which have a position available.

Must I be accepted into a graduate studies program before I receive a graduate assistantship?
Yes. You may, however, apply for the assistantship(s) at the same time that you apply to a graduate studies program.

Where do I get a graduate assistantship application?
Click here to go to the online application link.

Is there a deadline to apply?
Yes, both the graduate assistantship application as well as the admission application to a graduate program must be complete by March 1. If your application to a graduate program is not complete, your graduate assistantship application will not be forwarded to the department.

What do I do with the letter of recommendation cover sheet?
Fill out the top portion of the letter of recommendation cover sheet (Boler applicants, click here for cover sheet) and then give it to your recommender who should complete the bottom portion and write a letter of recommendation on your behalf. The letter, preferably on letterhead stationery, should address your ability to succeed as a graduate assistant and should be signed by the recommender. The recommendation letter and cover sheet should be placed in a sealed envelope, signed across the seal by the recommender, and mailed to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Can I use my letters of recommendation from my graduate studies application toward my graduate assistantship application as well?
Yes. You may choose to apply your letters of recommendation from your program application toward your GA application.  Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies directly if you would like for us to copy a letter from your program application file.  Only do so, however, if the letter is still timely and addresses the skillset listed in the position link on the GA website.

What is the statement of purpose?
The statement of purpose should state your vocational aim, purpose for undertaking graduate studies, interest in the assistantship, and other matters pertaining to your career goals. Please be specific. If applying for multiple graduate assistantship positions, submit a separate statement of purpose applicable to each position.

What should be included on my resume?
Be sure to include any honors, activities, employment history, and related skills (e.g., communication, research, computer, organizational, foreign language) that might enhance your application for the particular assistantship(s) for which you are applying.

Does the assistantship pay for tuition?
The graduate assistantship offers remission of all tuition and fees for approved courses during the fall and spring semesters, except for the graduation fee.

Do graduate assistants receive a stipend?
Yes. Graduate assistants receive a stipend which varies by department and full time or part time status.

How long does the assistantship last?
The term of the assistantship is one year and is normally renewed for a second year, with the potential for a third year in certain programs.

How many credit hours do I take, and what hours do I work?
A graduate assistant has a full-time relationship with the University, half-time as a student and half-time in service to the department or program. Full-time graduate students take a maximum of 9 credit hours each semester. Graduate assistants are expected to work twenty hours (full time) or ten hours (part time) weekly. Any additional employment is prohibited without the prior consent of the Chair of the department or program and the Associate Dean for Graduate Studies for those who hold full time appointments.

When will I find out if I received a graduate assistantship?
Awards will be announced after April 1.

Where do I send my application materials?
Graduate assistantship applications are processed through the Office of Graduate Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences with the exception of applications for positions in the Boler School of Business.

Applications for graduate assistantships in the College of Arts and Sciences should be sent to:

Graduate Studies
College of Arts and Sciences
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Heights, OH 44118

Applications for graduate assistantships in the Boler School of Business should be sent to:

Graduate Studies
Boler School of Business
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Heights, OH 44118

Note: If you are applying for an assistantship in the Boler School of Business AND a non academic department, you will send the appropriate material to two different locations.

For questions, please call the Office of Graduate Studies at
(216) 397-4284