John Carroll University is committed to global education and welcomes applications from international students. Our admissions staff is available throughout the year to assist you. Contact us by email or at 216.397.4284.

All applications must be complete at least 60 days prior to the beginning of the semester for which the student intends to register for courses and begin studies at the University. Please be aware that, before applying to the Office of Graduate Studies at John Carroll, you must have completed the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree in the U.S.

Application requirements for admission to the Office of Graduate Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences are as follows:

Apply online  (If you do not have a social security number, fill that space in with xxx xx xxxx.)

Application Fee
It is free to apply online.

Official Transcripts and Transcript Evaluation
Official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended are required. All transcripts from every college and university must be evaluated by WES or ECE and forwarded by the agency to the John Carroll University Office of Graduate Studies. These evaluations are required not only to translate your coursework into English and your GPA onto a 4.0 scale, but also to verify the equivalency of your degree to a 4-year baccalaureate degree in the United States. Please select the option for a course-by-course evaluation as individual course grades will be evaluated.

Evaluation of English Proficiency
In addition to the standardized test requirement, students whose native language is not English must demonstrate the necessary level of proficiency in the English language by taking the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). A student from abroad whose native language is English, who has completed his or her work at a foreign university where English is the language of instruction, or who has graduated from an American institution is exempt from this testing requirement. No notice of admission will be sent to an applicant, nor will an I-20 be issued, until this requirement has been met.

For students graduating from an ELS Language Center (, a final score of 112 will be accepted in place of either exam.

For the TOEFL, a minimum score of 79 on the IBT (internet-based test), 550 on the paper-based test, or 213 on the computer-based test is required. The John Carroll University code is 1342. Scores are valid for two years from the date that the test was taken.

For the IELTS, a minimum score of 6.5 is required. Scores are valid for two years from the date that the test was taken.

Graduate Records Examination (GRE)
The GRE is required for all international students applying to the English program.  For all other programs, please check the specific admission requirements on the webpage for your program of choice.

Statement of Financial Resources
In order to attend John Carroll University you must certify that you have sufficient funds to cover expenses for one full year (in U.S. Dollars) and supporting financial documentation indicating sources of funds (such as a certified bank statement dated within three (3) months). Applicants must submit evidence of funding sources to fully finance the cost of education, housing, and transportation. Applicants from abroad are not considered for part-time study.

Please complete the Financial Guarantee Statement, attach all supporting documents, and submit to the Office of Graduate Studies.

Copy of Photo Page of Passport
Please mail or email a scanned copy of the photo page of your passport.  Please also indicate your country of birth and your country of citizenship.

All documents submitted become the property of the University and cannot be returned.

Please have all documents sent to:

Graduate Studies
College of Arts and Sciences
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Heights, Ohio, 44118
United States

Scholarships/Financial Aid
Tuition, accommodation, and any associated fees for international students at John Carroll University are the same as for domestic students. Students who lack the means to cover these costs are encouraged to explore the possibility of applying for external scholarships and loans.

International students who apply for appointments as graduate assistants must have a lecturing competence in English. Such appointments may require students to have successfully completed at least two semesters of study in the U.S.

Upon acceptance to John Carroll University, the international student should contact the Center for Global Education who will issue the I-20 and act as a general resource for the student.

For additional information please contact us or visit the international admission web site where you will find detailed information specific to international students.