The Office of Financial Aid (OFA), located in Rodman Hall, is here to help explore your loan options, as well as guide you through the loan application process. For more information on Stafford, Grad PLUS or Private loans please click on the links below. If you have any questions regarding your loan options, please call OFA at 216.397.4248.

In order to be eligible for a Federal Stafford Loan a student must apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Once the FAFSA has been completed the OFA will mail an award letter to the student. Graduate students are typically awarded in June for the upcoming academic year. If the financial aid award letter includes a Federal Stafford Loan, the student should accept or decline the loan through BannerWeb within 14 days from the date on their award letter.

As a new student loan borrower at JCU, you will need to complete a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note as well as Direct Loan Entrance Counseling. You may have completed both of these requirements at your previous institution, but you will need to complete them again in order to borrow at JCU and have these funds credit your student account.

In order to finalize your Direct Loan you must complete the following steps online:

All Federal Direct Stafford Loan funds will be electronically transferred to the student’s account.

Graduate PLUS
Graduate and professional degree students enrolled at least half-time, are eligible to borrow under the PLUS Loan Program up to their cost of attendance minus other estimated financial assistance. The terms and conditions applicable to Parent PLUS Loans also apply to Graduate/Professional PLUS loans. These requirements include a determination that the applicant does not have an adverse credit history, repayment beginning on the date of the last disbursement of the loan, and a fixed interest rate. Note: Grad PLUS loans typically go into repayment within 60 days after the loan has fully disbursed; however, you may be eligible to postpone making payments while you are in school by contacting your servicer to request a deferment. If you are unsure of who is servicing your loans, log into the National Student Loan Database at to find out. You will need your social security number, date of birth and Federal PIN to log in. This website will list your entire federal loan history. Click on the individual loan , then on loan details to determine your servicer and to find contact information.

Applicants for the Grad PLUS loans are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). They also must have applied for their maximum loan eligibility under the Federal Stafford Loan Program before applying for a Graduate/Professional PLUS loan. Note: Even though it is called the Graduate PLUS Loan program, the loan is in the graduate student’s name (not their parents’ name).

In order to finalize your Grad PLUS Loan you must complete the following steps:

All Graduate PLUS funds will be electronically transferred to the student’s account.

For more information about private loans, please visit