The Office of the Bursar handles questions regarding financial obligations. This page will help guide you through the services offered by the Office of the Bursar.

1098T – Tax Credit
1098T forms are mailed each January to students enrolled during the prior calendar year. This form is needed to claim a tax credit under the American Opportunity Tax Credit or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit.

Three cash dispensing machines are located across campus. Cash withdrawals and account transfers can be made in the Schott Atrium of the D.J. Lombardo Student Center or on the ground floor of the Administration Building.

Tuition and fees are due prior to attending class. Bills are e-mailed to the student. If you have not received a statement, please contact us at 216.397.4494 and one will be emailed or faxed to you.

Check Cashing
Checks may be cashed in the Student Service Center (AD 37) in the amount of $25 per day for students and $50 per day for employees.

Credit Card
Although the University does not process credit card payments directly, payments can be made online at

Employer Reimbursement Program
The Employer Reimbursement Program allows part-time students with employer tuition benefits to pay 33% of the semester’s tuition by the published due date and the remainder four weeks after final exams.  For more information, visit

Holds, Registration, and Graduation
An unpaid student account (balances greater than or equal to $205) will carry a hold. The hold prevents the student from incurring more debt by precluding registration for additional semesters. Transcripts and grades will also be held pending payment. An unpaid balance of $1,000 or more will prohibit a student from graduating or receiving a diploma.

Independent 529 Plan
Independent 529 Plan (I-529) is the only national prepaid tuition plan. I-529 payments are applied to tuition only. Money invested in the fund is deposited into a trust and invested by TIAA-CREF.

The account owner (usually a parent or grandparent) initiates the redemption process with TIAA-CREF by calling 888.718.7878 or visiting the website, The account owner completes the redemption form and returns it to TIAA-CREF. Upon receipt of the form, TIAA-CREF reviews the eligibility requirements and enters the redemption request into the I-529 Plan system. The I-529 system will generate an e-mail to John Carroll University indicating a redemption has been submitted. When credits are issued TIAA-CREF generates a notice to the account owner.

Participants in this plan are purchasing credits toward annual tuition. Redemption is made in terms of percentage of annual tuition redeemed. Please refer to for complete details of this plan.

View Account
The student account can be accessed, with proper credentials, from Banner Web.

To contact the bursar’s office, please dial 216.397.4494 or 216.397.4971.