College of Arts and Sciences

Graduate Studies


To provide for a more exact evaluation of a student’s progress, graduate programs retain an “A,” “B,” “C” grading system in 500‑level courses. Grades of “D” do not earn graduate credit. In 400‑level courses students must achieve “A” or “B” grades to earn graduate credit; grades of “B-” or less do not earn graduate credit. To be considered a “student in good standing” a graduate student must maintain a grade point average of 3.0.

The following symbols are used to evaluate course work:

A Superior graduate-level work. 4 quality points per credit hour.
A – Excellent graduate-level work. 3.7 quality points per credit hour.
AD Audit. (Awarded only if student attends class regularly throughout the semester.)
AW Auditor who fails to fulfill attendance requirements.
B + Good graduate-level work. 3.3 quality points per credit hour.
B Above average graduate-level work. 3 quality points per credit hour.
B – Average graduate-level work. 2.7 quality points per credit hour. (Acceptable in 500-level courses only).
C + Fair graduate-level work. 2.3 quality points per credit hour. (Acceptable in 500-level courses only.)
C Poor graduate-level work. 2 quality points per credit hour. (Acceptable in 500-level courses only.)
CR Credit. (For use with departmental approval only. This is the normal grade for satisfactory completion of the master’s thesis, certain workshops, and student teaching.)
D Not acceptable for graduate credit.
F Failure.
I Incomplete. Work incomplete. Work is to be completed within one month following the last normal examination date of the semester in which the grade is incurred, or by the postponed examination date for that semester, whichever is later. An extension may be granted by the dean for serious reasons.
PR Course in progress. (For use with departmental approval only.)
X Absent from final examination.
W Withdrawal through proper procedure while passing, or without prejudice to standing.
WF Withdrawal without following proper procedure.

SA     Satisfactory for use with noncredit courses only.

Policy on Incomplete Grades

It is expected that except for extraordinary circumstances the requirements for a graduate-level course will be completed by the date of the final examination in that course. If a student is unable to complete all course requirements by the last day of the final examination period, he/she must request an Incomplete from the instructor. The request must be made no later than the last day of final examinations. If the instructor approves the request, all pending work must be completed within one month following the last examination date of the semester in which the grade is incurred. For serious reasons, an extension may be requested by academic petition and submitted to the appropriate dean. Unresolved “I” grades will turn to the grade of “F” after 30 days from the end of the semester.

Policy on In Progress (PR) Grades

A PR grade (course in progress) is ordinarily reserved for a course in which a student is completing the thesis, essay, or creative project in partial fulfillment of degree requirements. If the PR is used in other courses, including independent studies, department/program chair approval is required. It is expected that all pending work should be completed in a timely manner. A grade of PR will be changed to a W (withdrawal without prejudice to standing) two years after it is given or at the end of the semester the student reaches the time limit for completion of the degree (the date specified in the acceptance letter), whatever comes first. Once the PR is changed to W, the W cannot be changed to a standard grade. If a student seeks to complete a course for which the PR has turned to a W, the student will be required to retake the course or its equivalent. Tuition rates at the time the course is retaken will apply. Policies and procedures regarding Readmission and Time Limits for Completion of Degree also apply.