Sophia University, a John Carroll University exchange partner, was founded by Jesuits in 1913 and is based on the teachings of Christianity. Sophia University is located in the metropolis of Tokyo, capital of Japan. Sophia University offers courses to fulfill requirements for an East Asian Studies concentration. Students may choose to study at Sophia for a semester or an entire academic year.
- Program Guide 2015-16
- Exchange Program FACT SHEET 2015-16
- Sophia University will offer a three-week session in January. This could be combined with a semester-long program in the Spring Semester.
Students participating on this exchange program are eligible to take all financial aid with the exception of work study to Sophia University. This includes scholarships, federal, and state aid.
Program Costs for academic year 2015-2016
Directly billed by JCU:
- Tuition: $17,965
- Administrative Fee: $1,000
Estimated Costs (not billed by JCU)
- Books & Supplies: $375 – 650
- Personal Expenses: $1,050
- Transportation: $1,400
- Room: $3,557
- Board: $1,550 – 3,100
- Commuter Pass: $250 – 500
- Insurance: $160
- Total Indirect Costs: $8,342-10,427
Total Budget: $27,307 – 29,392
Room and board are the responsibility of the students. Sophia University will invoice students for these costs.
For further information on studying at Sophia University please contact the Center for Global Education. The deadline for applications to study abroad for Fall Semester is March 1, and for Spring Semester is October 1.
For more information on Japan, please visit the following links: