Welcome to the website for the Center for Global Education at John Carroll University. We have put this site together to offer you some information about our programs as well as the costs of our programs’ abroad.
Please take a few moments to read the note to parents/guardians of study abroad students.
We realize that the cost of study abroad is a factor for families when choosing a study abroad program. Therefore, we have included the costs of all of our programs for you to reference. They are provided on each individual program’s page.
Please note that John Carroll University charges a $1,000 administrative fee on certain study abroad programs.
There are numerous scholarships offered by various organizations to support study abroad and exchange programs. We have compiled some sources and tips for financial aid.
Safety Concerns While Abroad: John Carroll University takes the safety of our students very seriously.
- We prepare students before they depart at an orientation session where we discuss personal safety and common-sense measures.
- Our partner institutions overseas also provide an orientation at the beginning of each program that have the expertise to cover local safety issues.
- Our office works closely with the University’s risk management staff to make sure that all reasonable precautions are taken on behalf of our students, faculty and staff.
- We ensure that all of our students have insurance which covers them not only for illness or injury, but also for emergency and medical evacuation back to the United States.
- We monitor conditions in all of the places where our students are studying or likely to travel to.
- We monitor the U.S. Department of State for any travel warnings.
- All students, staff, and faculty on university programs are registered with the U.S. Department of State’s Safe Travelers Enrollment Program (STEP), so they can be located quickly in case of emergency.
- We work with our partner institutions overseas very closely, and we can trust them to take excellent care of our students, just as we care for the international students who come to John Carroll University to study.
Modern technology, cell phones, and the internet have made staying in contact even easier in recent years. Most students have cellular phones or other wireless devices that they can use to stay in contact. The staff of the Center for Global Education can be reached in an emergency 24 hours a day. It is extremely unlikely that a terror attack will directly affect our students or programs abroad, but we are prepared and can respond quickly and effectively if it occurs.
Please click here for some useful tips on what you should consider before, during and after your son/daughter’s semester abroad.
- The “What Parents Need To Know About Study Abroad” website also offers large amount of helpful information about the study abroad process.
- Chronicle of Higher Education: Studying Abroad is Safer than Studying at Home in the United States
Click here to find more detailed information on the many study abroad programs offered at John Carroll University.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Center for Global Education at 216.397.4320 or by email at email@example.com.