The Grasselli Library and Breen Learning Center at John Carroll University seeks an energetic, innovative, collaborative, visionary individual for the position of Head of Research, Learning, and Information Services. This person is responsible for the overall leadership, planning, coordination, and administration of library services, including Reference, Instruction, and Access Services, which support the mission and values of John Carroll University.
- Oversee the coordination, evaluation, and development of the Reference unit, in terms of both space and staffing, and other user experience initiatives in the library. Create a cohesive training and development plan for all library service points. Implement a modern vision for service desks in a college library setting.
- Oversee the coordination of the Access Services unit and related services.
- Participate in the planning, development, and implementation of the internal information literacy and instructional design efforts for the library liaison program and serve as main instructor for faculty workshops and instruction. Collaborates on this initiative with library liaisons, Instruction Coordinator, and Director.
- Lead and manage direct reports, being responsible to those individuals at all times. Encourage training, continuing education, and mentoring of entire public services staff.
- Conducts research in areas of specialty, participates actively in the local, regional, or national library community.
- Review and recommend policies and streamline services to meet the needs of library users.
- Seeks creative solutions to problems, willing to try new things, reward experimentation. Takes initiative to learn new things and introduce new ideas and services.
- In collaboration with the library director, develop, coordinate and promote assessment programs for the Grasselli Library; identify, define, and develop appropriate assessment approaches, measures, and techniques. Lead an assessment program in the library services areas that employs qualitative and quantitative data collection/analysis metrics that inform services, student learning, online presence, and library spaces.
- Act as a liaison to assigned academic departments to facilitate collection development and instruction.
- Completes other duties assigned in support of the library’s goals and John Carroll mission.
- Serve on university and consortium committees related to areas of responsibility as a representative of the library.
- Participate in national, regional, and state associations.
- Masters of Library Science or equivalent degree from an American Library Association accredited university or college
- Evidence of progressively responsible experience in the public services areas of an academic library, including reference services or research services or access services, and information literacy instruction.
- Evidence of progressively responsible supervisory experience with professional and paraprofessional library staff.
- Demonstrated customer service experience and strong communication skills; flexibility and good sense of humor a must.
- Creative and analytical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with the ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects. simultaneously in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated initiative and project management skills.
- Demonstrated interest in continued professional development.
- Five-seven years of experience in an academic library.
While John Carroll ordinarily hires faculty at the beginning “Assistant Librarian” rank, consideration can be given to more experienced faculty librarians who meet the qualifications for a higher rank.
John Carroll University is a Jesuit, Catholic University with approximately 4,000 students, located in University Heights, OH. The campus is located in a beautiful, residential suburb of Cleveland, 20 minutes from downtown and 20 minutes from scenic countryside. Cleveland is host to a wide variety of industries and has experienced significant growth in the areas of biotechnology, health care and engineering. The city of Cleveland has undergone a series of transformations in recent years in downtown and lakefront development which includes the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the new Browns Stadium, and the Great Lakes Science Center. The Cleveland Symphony, the Cleveland Museum of Art and Cleveland Playhouse Square are all nationally acclaimed cultural centers.
John Carroll University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University is committed to diversity in the workplace and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities.
Qualified applicants should send electronically a cover letter discussing qualifications, current curriculum vitae, and the name and contact information for three references to:
Connie Brooks, Library Administrative Services Coordinator at email@example.com
Screening of applications will begin April 22, 2014 and the position is open until filled. Salary is commensurate with experience.