Awards, Kudos, Events

JACQUELINE SCHMIDT, PROFESSOR OF COMMUNICATION, RECEIVES THE 2014 DISTINGUISHED FACULTY AWARD John Day presented Jacqueline Schmidt with the award on May 2. “This award means a lot to me because I know the accomplishments of men and women who have received this award previously ... and I feel honored to be a part of this group,” Schmidt says. “Thank you to all of you who supported me. Your kind words are important, and I value them. One of the things I have always enjoyed about John Carroll is the spirit of community and sharing. ... I think it is this richness of community and the openness and sharing that I like most about JCU. Thank all of you for creating and sustaining such an environment. I am fortunate to be a part of it.”

JACQUELINE SCHMIDT, PROFESSOR OF COMMUNICATION, RECEIVES THE 2014 DISTINGUISHED FACULTY AWARD
John Day presented Jacqueline Schmidt with the award on May 2. “This award means a lot to me because I know the accomplishments of men and women who have received this award previously … and I feel honored to be a part of this group,” Schmidt says. “Thank you to all of you who supported me. Your kind words are important, and I value them. One of the things I have always enjoyed about John Carroll is the spirit of community and sharing. … I think it is this richness of community and the openness and sharing that I like most about JCU. Thank all of you for creating and sustaining such an environment. I am fortunate to be a part of it.”

The John Carroll University Advertising Team earned second place—narrowly missing first by just one point—in the American Advertising Federation’s District 5 National Student Advertising Competition (NSAC) in Louisville, KY on April 5, 2014. The students conceived, developed, and delivered a $10-million advertising campaign for Mary Kay, the 2014 NSAC client sponsor. Additionally, the team received the Judges’ Award for Best Guerrilla Advertising Tactic out of eight competing teams from universities in Kentucky, Ohio, and West Virginia. Jenna Drenten, Department of Management, Marketing, and Logistics, is the faculty advisor for the team.

From left: Dr. Jenna Drenten, Sara Needham, Patrick McLaughlin, Elizabeth Blackley, Molly McComish, and Sarah Masica

Bob Bloom, along with five students from the Boler School of Business, attended the RISE conference about finance and investments at the University of Dayton March 27-29. They participated in workshops about ethical issues in finance, venture capital, and managing investment funds. Additionally, they sat in on panel discussions pertaining to current economic conditions and trends in financial markets.

Lauren Copeland appeared on WCPN’s the Sound of Ideas to discuss the intersection between politics and comedy, arguing that President Obama’s appearance on Zach Galifianakis’s Between Two Ferns reflects changes in the media environment that have made it increasingly difficult for presidents to communicate effectively with the public.

Michele Stopera Freyhauf spoke at the United Nations during the 58th Conference for the Commission of the Status of Women in New York City on March 11. Her topic focused on the feminization of poverty, with an emphasis on migrant mothers who immigrate to the U.S. and become sex slaves.

Philip Metres received an Individual Excellence Grant from the Ohio Arts Council for 2014.

Paul Nietupski, Sarah Pawlaczyk ’15, and Alexandra Ehrett ’16 attended the ASIANetwork conference in Bloomingdale, IL, April 11-12, 2014, and presented the results of their 2013 ASIANetwork-Freeman Foundation Student-Faculty Research Fellowship, titled “China’s Wild West: Crossing Borders on the Sino-Tibetan Frontier.”