What you should do
- Call John Carroll police dispatch at 216.397.1234.
- Tell the dispatcher your name.
- Give the exact location of the hazardous material spill/release.
- If possible give the source, character, amount, and extent of the material spill/release.
- Notify the dispatcher of injuries associated with the incident.
- Leave a call back phone number in case further information is needed.
- Shut windows, turn off open flames, and open hoods in the area.
- Keep others from entering the affected area.
- Stay a safe distance from the material that has been spilled or released and wait for police officers, firefighters, or other emergency responders to arrive.
What will happen
- The responding police or security officer will contain the scene and tend to any injured persons.
- The responding officer will communicate initial findings to the police supervisor and dispatcher.
- John Carroll police will notify the responsible facility personnel and other John Carroll personnel as needed.
- The fire department will notify state or local agencies if additional help is needed or if notification is required.
- Evacuation, containment, and clean up will be conducted as directed by the fire department representative or state/local agency incident commander.
Click here to download the pdf.