If you become aware of an emergency situation where life or property is threatened, immediately contact the John Carroll University Police Department (JCUPD) at 216.397.1234. It is imperative that you follow the directives of emergency response personnel, including JCUPD, John Carroll facilities personnel, local police, and fire/EMS personnel. Know the location of safety equipment in your work area and how to use it. Familiarize yourself with emergency evacuation routes for your building.
What you should do
Calmly tell the dispatcher:
- Who you are.
- Where you are.
- The nature of the emergency.
- If anyone needs medical attention.
- Any circumstances that may help or impede response personnel.
- Your phone number where you may be reached.
- Try to remain calm and inform others that help is coming and follow all directions given by dispatchers or emergency personnel.
What will happen
- The dispatcher may ask for additional information from you and/or give you directions.
- The dispatcher will contact appropriate emergency response agencies, John Carroll police, and other University resources as necessary.
- The John Carroll police supervisor will coordinate the response.
- Emergency personnel will handle the situation and provide further instructions, as needed.