What you should do
- If you smell or see smoke or fire, begin evacuation by pulling an alarm station.
- Call John Carroll police dispatch at 216.397.1234 if it is safe to do so.
- Tell the dispatcher your name.
- Give the dispatcher the exact location of the fire and any other information you may have about the fire.
- Do not attempt to fight the fire yourself unless you have been trained in the use of firefighting equipment and it is safe to do so.
- Evacuate the building, closing doors behind you to contain the fire. Exit via stairwells only, do not attempt to use elevators.
- Exit quickly and do not attempt to take anything with you.
- Assist disabled persons or direct emergency personnel to them.
- Do not let the fire or heavy smoke come between you and an exit.
- If you get caught in heavy smoke, take short breaths, crouch down, or crawl.
- If the fire or smoke keeps you from exiting the building, go to a room far away from the fire, shut the door, open or break open a window and signal for help.
- Once outside and a safe distance from the building, return to the building only when instructed to do so by emergency personnel.
What will happen
- The dispatcher will notify the appropriate fire department and John Carroll police.
- John Carroll police will respond and coordinate with the responding fire personnel.
- Once the actual fire or fire alarm situation is resolved, John Carroll police or the fire personnel will give the clear to re-enter the building or will give other directions.