The Ingram family

The Ingram family

Emily (Kelsey) Ingram ’81 graduated from Carroll with a Bachelor of Science degree in business administration. After spending several years in JCU’s admissions office covering the Chicago market, she joined the Sherwin-Williams management training program through her Carroll connections. Then she moved on to work in the human resources department with Bank One and then Huntington Bank. Ingram met her husband, Charlie, on a blind date in Cleveland, later moving to upstate New York and then Erie, Pa. The Ingrams have two children – Kelsey (23) and Nicholas (21).

My most fond memory of Carroll: There’s not just one. The overall experience –including friends, fellowship, and a sense of belonging – are ones I’ll carry with me the rest of my life.

A JCU education means a quality education, exceptional faculty, and friends you’ll make for life.

Giving back to Carroll is important because it’s my responsibility, as one who has been privileged to earn a degree from JCU, to allow others to have the opportunity to do the same.

After graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in communications in 2004, Paul Clapp spent the next five years in sales and management for Enterprise Holdings. In 2011, he earned his Master of Education from JCU concentrating in U.S. History. As a graduate student, Clapp was inducted into Alpha Sigma Nu, the honor society of Jesuit colleges and universities. Currently, he’s a compliance specialist for a local company in the military field. Clapp, who has competed in three half marathons and the full Detroit Marathon, has been an assistant wrestling coach at Kirtland High School since 2007. He works regularly with Sports Illustrated and Golf Digest as a photographer’s assistant.

My most fond memory of Carroll: I have so many fond memories it would be unfair to single out any particular one. I’m blessed to have learned so much from John Carroll, not only in the classroom, but through the many extracurricular activities I participated in. I learned life lessons by working many late nights as an editor for The Carroll News. I learned how to be a better person through my time as an ROTC cadet. I learned how to think critically while being on the football and wrestling teams. As member of Kappa Sigma, I learned what true friendship is and how it lasts a lifetime. I learned how to lead through the many amazing opportunities I was afforded as a student. As I reflect on my journey of life, I can attribute most of my success to the education I received at Carroll.

A JCU education is unparalleled for many reasons. My experiences at Carroll was made me who I am today. Fr. Casey Bukala’s, S.J., words have proven to be true many times: “Who I am is related to who I am yet to become. I am an individual. I am unique. I have a name. And I continue to write my story as I live my life.” I’m thankful to have had a Jesuit education that prepared me for my experiences outside of Carroll. Many other professors taught me how to think critically, think outside the box, and never settle for status quo.

Giving back to Carroll is important to me because I’d be selfish to. The Very Rev. Pedro Arrupe, S.J., called us to be men and women for others, and giving back to JCU is just one way we can do just that. Who would I be if it weren’t for John Carroll?

After Toledo, Ohio, native Rosanna Violi ’07, graduated with Bachelor of Arts degree in history, she spent a year of post graduate volunteer service with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps in Portland, Ore., working for a non-profit that provides social services to the poor and homeless. Violi he returned to Ohio to completed a Master of Public Administration, with a concentration in municipal government, at the University of Toledo. Currently, she works in local government administration in Northwest Ohio. Violi and her fiancé, Paul, are planning a wedding for the summer of 2014.

My most fond memory of Carroll: It’s so difficult to pick just one … the midnight breakfast; “All I Want for Christmas is You” playing nonstop on the jukebox in the atrium; living in good old Murphy Hall; snowball fights on quad; service projects and retreats; friendships made. However, if I had to just pick one, it would be during my second year of being a tour guide in the admission office where I saw the faces of students I had given tours to the year before now walking to class as freshman.

A JCU education is unique. It encourages you to strive for more, prepares you for your chosen career, and infuses the spirit of becoming a man or woman for others.

Giving back to Carroll is important because alumni involvement is crucial to its continued success. As alumni, we know what Carroll instilled in us – inside and outside the classroom – better than anyone. Giving back to my alma mater is my way to ensure future students can experience the wonderful opportunities Carroll provides.

The Coopers

The Coopers

When Jenny Dambrosio-Cooper ’07 first started at John Carroll, she knew she wanted to study in the Boler School of Business. Ultimately, she decided to double major in marketing and logistics. She also worked in the University’s alumni and development departments for four years. After graduating, she worked in the product management department at American Greetings Corp. in Brooklyn, Ohio, where she still works, albeit on the retail, design and experience team. While working at AG, she returned to school and graduated with an MBA, specializing in marketing, in 2009 from Cleveland State University. She lives in Macedonia, Ohio, with her husband, JJ Cooper, whom she met her senior year at Carroll. They married on July 31, 2010 in the St. Francis Chapel on the JCU campus.

My most fond memory of Carroll: participating in Christmas Carroll Eve every year. There was always something special and so beautiful during Christmas time at Carroll. The beautiful lights around the quad, the Christmas trees, and the Christmas music were the best. I looked forward to it every year, and still try to attend when possible. I loved to carol around the quad, attend Mass at Gesu, and then go to midnight breakfast. Those were some of the best and most memorable times.

A JCU education is well rounded and unlike many others. Not only do John Carroll students experience all types of classes for their specific major and minor, they’re also required to complete various classes that contribute to being well rounded and knowledgeable. Additionally, professors don’t just focus only on course content and facts. All staff members stress the importance of focus on helping students to understand how they can take what they learn and make a difference in the world. We’re taught to be men and women for others and go out into the world and lead and serve. We learned it’s important to give back. Not only do students go out into the world ready to work and start a career, they head out wanting to make a difference.

Giving back to Carroll is important because it helps give current and future students the same opportunities I had. People always tell me that when I talk about John Carroll, I have such a special connection to the school. They say they wish they had the same experience and connection with their own schools. Attending John Carroll was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made, and I’d do it again. I want other students to have a similar experience.

Posted on November 24, 2013
||