Diversity, Inclusion and the Jesuit Mission:
- Statement of Catholic Theologians on Racial Justice
- The Racial Divide in the United States: A Reflection for the World Day of Peace 2015 by Most Rev. Edward K. Braxton, Ph. D., A.T.D., Bishop of Belleville, Illinois
- “How Women are Reshaping Jesuit Institutions” – March 2015 issue of Connections, the monthly publication of Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities.
- Difficult Conversations, One Bite at a Time – by Thomas Curran, S.J., President of Rockhurst University
For faculty, staff & administrators: articles of interest
- Avoiding Racial Bias in Letters of Reference Writing, by Asmeret Asefaw Berhe and Sora Kim, University of California, Merced
- 7 Strategies to Improve Outcomes for Student Parents — in The Chronicle of Higher Education – part of the College, With Kids special report, April 16, 2017
- Diversity in Academe: The Age Issue – special issue of The Chronicle of Higher Education, September 13, 2017
- Race on Campus – special issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education, 2015 – many excellent articles
- Resources for Campus Leaders Crafting Messages in Response to Issues of Racial and Social Justice, from the Association of American Colleges & Universities (AAC&U).
- “Bridging the Research to Practice Gap: Achieving Mission-Driven Diversity and Inclusion Goals,” The College Board, March 2016
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion articles in the Chronicle of Higher Education
- The Problem with Civility – Inside Higher Ed, Sept. 9, 2014
- Student Cross Racial Interactions- Perceptions of Faculty – in Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, 2012, Vol. 5, No. 4
- The Evolving “ROI” of Chief Diversity Officers — in Insight: into Diversity
- The Parable of the Polygons — segregation, diversity, and ‘tiny biases’: “a story about how harmless choices can make a harmful world.”
- Harvard’s Implicit Bias test — these brief exercises help individuals to identify their own subconscious biases.
- Rethink Labels — a video by the Diversity Center of Northeast Ohio
- Ignatian Spirituality and Race — a series produced by Xavier University
- Language/Dialect Diversity on Campus — a video from North Carolina State University
- Black or White: Kids on Race — a series produced by CNN
- Are you Racist? — author Marlon James insists that we “stop being ‘non’ and start being ‘anti'” (2:05)
- Brooke Barnett and Peter Felten, eds., Intersectionality in Action: A Guide for Faculty and Campus Leaders for Creating Inclusive Classrooms and Institutions (Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2016).
- Cia Verschelden, Bandwidth Recovery: Helping Students Reclaim Cognitive Resources Lost to Poverty, Racism, and Social Marginalization (Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2017).
- Kathleen A. Ross, Breakthrough Strategies: Classroom-Based Practices to Support New Majority College Students (Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press, 2016).
- Kimberly A. Costino, “Equity-Minded Faculty Development: An Intersectional Identity-Conscious Community of Practice Model for Faculty Learning,” Metropolitan Universities 29, no. 1 (2018).
- Emily Schuster, ed., “Intersectionality and Well-Being,” special issue, Diversity & Democracy 21, no. 1 (2018).
- Association of American Colleges and Universities, A Vision for Equity (Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities, 2018).
*this brief bibliography was compiled by the scholars participating in “Preparing Professors for New-Majority Students in Higher Education.” retreats sponsored by the Bringing Theory to Practice initiative, operating in partnership with the Association of American Colleges and Universities. More information at www.BTtoP.org.