Mandel Foundation Grants for Conversation and Inclusion
Please note: applications are not accepted for Mandel grants during the summer. If JCU receives grant funding from the Mandel Foundation this year, applications will open in September 2017.
The Mandel Foundation periodically awards funds to John Carroll University for the purpose of funding campus projects that advance diversity and inclusion on campus.
Funds are available to all students, faculty, and staff who wish to organize programs to raise awareness about issues of diversity and inclusion, build respect for others, and create and promote a culture of inclusiveness. Programs funded by the Mandel Grants may be implemented in either the Fall or Spring Term.
Follow the links below to read about the many exciting Mandel grant-funded projects presented on campus!
Students, faculty, and staff as well as student organizations, departments, and offices are encouraged to submit grant proposals for creative and innovative activities and programs to help further a climate of inclusiveness on the JCU campus.
Examples of programs that this grant may support may include, but are not limited to:
- campus programs
- outreach activities
- cultural events
- hosted discussion groups
- student research projects
- on-campus training and development opportunities
- cross-cultural dialogues
- campus community events
Projects not generally supported by these grants include:*
- individual travel to conferences or other events (student group travel may be supported, in certain limited circumstances)
- faculty research
- course development
*Additional limitations may be placed upon certain budget line items, at the committee’s discretion. This list should be considered as a helpful guide, not a statement of committee policy.
- Applications must provide a clear, detailed description of the proposed project with specific, well-defined and measurable goals.
- Proposals should be in the general range of $200 to $4,000.
- Project activities must be completed before the close of the academic year.
- A final evaluation report, detailing the outcomes of the implemented project, is due within 30 days of project completion.
- Progress reports on a funded project may be requested at any time. If requested, they must be provided in a timely manner.
- Applications may be submitted online at this link. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year until all funds have been allocated.
Awards will be granted after review by the Mandel Grant Review Committee. Any member of the committee may be contacted with questions about the grant process. The 2017-18 Grant Review Committee membership will be announced at the beginning of the Fall 2017 semester. The Grant Review committee members for 2016-17 were:
- Terry Mills, Ph.D., Assistant Provost for Diversity & Inclusion (Chair) — email@example.com
- Donna Byrnes, Associate Dean of Students — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Salomon Rodezno, Director, Center for Student Diversity & Inclusion — email@example.com
- David Kleinberg, Assistant Director, Center for Global Education — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julie Myers, Campus Minister — email@example.com
- Dwight Venson ’17 — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Megan Wilson-Reitz, Assistant, Office for Institutional Diversity and Inclusion — email@example.com
Revised August 3, 2017