The department is recognized as a police department under the Ohio Revised Code (ORC 1713.50), as established by the John Carroll University Board of Directors. This designation gives officers the same legal authority as any municipal police officer. Campus police officers work to provide a safe and secure environment for all members of the John Carroll community by offering coverage 24 hours/day, 365 days/year. Functions of campus police include:
- Response to criminal, medical, fire, and other emergencies and alarms.
- Report and investigate criminal and student conduct violations.
- Respond to calls for service.
- Proactively patrol the campus buildings, parking lots, and grounds.
- Liaison with local public safety agencies.
- Perform campus safety escorts.
- Provide information and assistance to students, parents, staff, and visitors.