Faculty Travel Requests
Who is eligible: All faculty, including visitors, and faculty collaborators.
Funding Restrictions and Priorities: These travel categories are listed in order of funding priority. The Dean shall fund department budgets according to these priorities. The Dean shall do so until every full-time faculty member, in all departments, requesting institutional travel is funded once before additional trips are funded in any department. Additional trips will be funded as monies are available using the same priorities with the additional considerations of expense and interdepartmental equity. Deans and chairs will allocate these funds with the goal of maximizing the benefit to the John Carroll University faculty.
- Presentations of original scholarly work (including chairing and commenting) at national, regional, or international meetings of professional societies at which the faculty member is listed on the program.
- Approved and necessary departmental business, including such things as Licensure or accreditation.
- Activities related to administration and/or service in professional organizations, or service to the profession, at which the faculty member is listed as a committee member or office.
- As available, funds may be disbursed to faculty members attending conferences for professional development but who are not on the program. In this case, funds are disbursed to cover at least travel to and from the conference. Tenure track faculty will enjoy priority for this category of travel and may request full funding if this is their only travel request for the academic year.
Maximum Requests: For the academic year, faculty may request a maximum of $1,800. NOTE: This amount is based on the assumption that not all faculty request travel funds. It may be necessary, once all requests are processed, to lower the cap. Once the chair reviews requests, they will be forwarded to the dean who will also review them and decided how much money will be inserted into the departmental budget. This budget is under the discretion and authority of the department chair. Unused funds must be returned to the University at the end of the fiscal year.
There will be a two-step process:
- Each faculty member can request up to $1,800 in support. Nothing in excess of this amount will be allotted.
- After all requests are funded, additional support may be made by application directly to the dean.
Faculty members should strive to economize whenever possible. Requests for reimbursement for expenses deemed excessive, unnecessary, or frivolous will be denied. Travel supported through endowment funds or through other, non-departmental programs will be administered by the person administering the program or fund. The dean may take into consideration when allocating professional travel monies whether an individual faculty member has access to non-departmental funds.
Please submit each request individually; if you are requesting funds for more than one conference, please indicate the total amount (not to exceed $1800). Download the Travel Request Form **Save this form to your computer before completing.**