Early Warning Evaluation for all undergraduates
The Early Warning Evaluation is used by the Deans’ Offices to identify and to assist any undergraduates who may be experiencing academic difficulty early in the semester. Faculty are asked to report such students electronically on Banner, usually by the fourth week of the semester. For students experiencing difficulty (in terms of class attendance, participation, and performance on assignments/exams/quizzes), the deans will contact both the students and the students’ advisors. The success of the process depends on the widest possible response from faculty for each of their classes.
Below are instructions for completing the Early Warning Evaluation on Banner Web:
- Go to Banner Web at www.jcu.edu/bannerweb.
- Enter the Secure Area with your Banner User ID and PIN. (If you do not have an ID or PIN, please contact Kathy DiFranco at 216.397.4293).
- Click on Faculty & Advisors.
- Click on Early Warning Evaluation.
- Select the current Term and Submit.
- From the drop-down menu, select one of the courses you are teaching and Submit.
- Follow the instructions that appear at the top of the screen. If a student is having no problem in your class, check the No Problem box. Or check one or more of the Problem boxes as they apply to attendance or participation. At this point, we are not concerned about assignments or tests and quizzes. If a student drops your course during the Early Warning Evaluation period, the student’s name may appear on the evaluation table. However, you will not need to complete an evaluation for students who have withdrawn from your class.
- Click Submit when you have completed the evaluation for one class and review the data.
- If you are teaching more than one class, return to the Faculty & Advisor Menu to begin the process over again.
A student who appears to be having difficulty in several courses will be contacted by the Assistant Deans. In addition, the student will be notified about the evaluation via email.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact Sophie Kus in the College of Arts and Sciences at email@example.com or 216.397.1620.
Each semester faculty are required to submit midterm grades for all freshman students, first-year transfer students, and any student who is earning a C- or lower at midterm. Faculty report the grades electronically on Banner.
The steps for submitting midterm grades are as follows:
- Log in to the John Carroll University Banner Web
- Enter Secure Area with your Banner User ID and PIN. (If you need User ID and PIN, please stop in the Registrar’s Office with picture ID and we will give them to you.)
- Select Faculty & Advisors.
- Select Midterm Grades. NOTE: The midterm “gradelist” includes a GRADE REQUIRED column. A YES in that column indicates that a midterm grade is required for the student. Only grades of C-, D+, D, F or WF are to be assigned to all other students earning those grades at midterm.
- Select the term for which you are entering grades from the drop down menu.
- Select the course you wish to grade from the drop down menu of your courses.
- Using the drop down box next to each student’s name, select the appropriate grade for that student.
- When all grades are entered, click on Submit. Remember that there is a 30 minute time limit for your grade page to be opened. If you are nearing that time limit, Submit what you have completed and then continue to add grades, or the grades you have entered will be lost! Click on Submit again when you have completed all grade entry for the course. Students who have withdrawn from your class after the first week of the semester will not appear on your grade list and a grade of W will automatically be assigned during final grading. Students who appear on your grade list but have stopped attending your class should receive a grade of WF. Please contact the Student Service Center at extension 4940 with any questions regarding a student’s withdrawal.
- If you wish to enter grades for another course/section, click on CRN Selection at the bottom of the screen. You will then be able to select another course for grading.
- After you are finished submitting all of your grades click on EXIT (top right corner of the page). Then close your browser.
- You may go back and make corrections to your grades until the grading window is closed at 3 p.m. the day grades are due. Simply select the new grade from the drop down box next to the student’s name. Remember to Submit again.
- NOTE: There is no need to complete the Last Attend Dates and Attend Hours fields.