College of Arts & Sciences

Frequently Asked Advising Questions

How do I contact the Academic Advising Office?

Courses and Registration

Core Curriculum Requirements

Advising Resources

Academic Majors, Minors and Other Programs

Courses and Registration

How do I drop a class?

Dropping a class — particularly after the start of the semester — is a serious matter. You are urged to discuss your options and the consequences with the instructor and your academic advisor.

Non-attendance does not constitute an Official Withdrawal.

  • Withdrawal procedure is as formal as registration procedure.
  • Students are considered in attendance until they have completed all prescribed withdrawal procedures. Freshmen who wish to withdraw at any time, including the first week, must first discuss this action with their advisor, or the Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences for Academic Advising.
  • Before course change week ends (the first week of class), students may withdraw from classes using Banner. Withdrawals during the first week of class leave no indication of the course on the student’s transcript.
  • After course change week ends, students must carry out proper withdrawal procedures personally in Rodman Hall, Room 205 or 206. For withdrawals between the 2nd and 12th week of the regular semester, a W appears on the transcript; this is the time of “withdrawal without prejudice.”
  • No withdrawals are permitted after the 12th week. Students withdrawing at any time without following proper procedures automatically receive a WF, which is considered a failing grade and is computed in the cumulative average.
  • Final dates for the above periods are indicated in the academic calendar

To withdraw completely from the university, a student should complete a withdrawal form. Please find the policy and forms here: and submit to an Enrollment Counselor in Rodman Hall, Room 205 or 206.

How can I get into a closed section?

Realize that such “force” opportunities are unusual, a privilege, and that your request implies a commitment to perfect attendance and extra effort. Start by asking the instructor if he or she is willing to take another student in the class. Be prepared to explain why you have to take the course this semester in this time slot and demonstrate that you have met the prerequisites, if any. If the instructor approves, have him or her write a note to the chair of the department, then take that to the secretary in the department office. The chair must sign and date a “force” card.  During “course change week” (the first week of the semester), freshmen must then take the card to their advisor, obtain a course change form, and then go to the Registration Center in Rodman Hall, Rm 205-206 to make the change. Sophomore and upper division students don’t require the change form and therefore may bypass the advisor during “course change week,” but it is recommended they also make that contact. After the first week, the force card has to be taken to an assistant dean in the appropriate school for approval before being taken to the Registration Center in Rodman Hall for processing. If you cannot get instructor permission and a force card, an alternative would be to watch the course seat numbers on Banner Web for someone else to drop the course. This often happens in the first week of the semester. For courses within the Boler School of Business (not PL 311), please see the Assistant Dean of the Boler School in SB 117 to inquire about a force.  Since forces are usually done for students registering late, this eliminates the necessity to visit five or six different instructors and department chairpersons.

Some courses allow student to sign up on a waitlist once a course is closed. Please refer to the following for instructions on waitlisting.

Waitlist option

How do I take summer classes at another school?

If you want to take summer classes elsewhere, you should discuss your intentions with your academic advisor.  Complete and submit an on-line Transient Petition form, before registering for the course. You will need to attach a course description or syllabus and then obtain authorizations from your academic advisor, the appropriate department chairperson, and the assistant dean. If the course is to meet a core requirement, such as a letter designation or division, the chair of the University Core Committee must also approve the form. Please make sure you have a final transcript sent to the John Carroll University’s Registrar’s office once you have completed the course.

How do I cross-register for classes at another local school?

Full-time students with a 2.0 or better may register for one course per semester at any of the 13 participating colleges and universities in the Cleveland Commission on Higher Education Cross Registration Program. This is an enrichment program and courses eligible for cross registration are those normally not available at the home institution. Certain restrictions apply and approval must be granted by the Registrars at the home and host institutions. The form is available online from the Office of the University Registrar. For more information, contact the appropriate assistant dean’s office.

Participating Colleges and Universities include Baldwin-Wallace College, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Institute of Art, Cleveland Institute of Music, Cleveland State University, Cuyahoga Community College, David N. Myers College, Hiram College, Lake Erie College, Lakeland Community College, Lorain County Community College, Notre Dame College of Ohio and Ursuline College.

How can I take a class for pass/fail?

Students may not use the pass/fail option for any courses counted toward university or in a major, minor or concentration. Students who have obtained sophomore standing are permitted to take up to six other courses on a pass/fail but may not register for more than one pass/fail per semester. If a student wishes to do a pass/fail option, an application must be made through the Student Service Center by the end of the second week of the semester. Application forms must be obtained from and approved by the Assistant Deans Office. The pass/fail option form is available online. A grade of “C” or higher is required for a “pass.” A student who earns a C- or lower will receive that grade and it will be counted in computing the overall grade point average. Business majors may not use the P/F option for any of the Business core courses.

What if I am unable to attend classes due to illness or a family emergency?

If you expect to be absent from classes due to illness or a death in the family, you will need to report your absence to the appropriate Assistant Deans Office, providing documentation from your doctor, medical center, or hospital, or a copy of the death notice, obituary or funeral card. If possible, you should also contact each of your instructors regarding missed homework and exams and, if you live on campus, notify the RA in your dorm. The assistant dean will also notify your instructors of your absence (without details). Missed materials will be handled at your instructors’ discretion.

What courses transfer from my previous school?

The Transfer and International Admissions Office, working with the Registrar’s Office, will do an initial evaluation of the transferred courses based on a transcript from the other school. If there are questions about courses, these offices will contact the appropriate department chair to answer them. The Assistant Dean’s Office will prompt the student’s academic advisor to follow up on any work that is pending. Contact the Assistant Dean’s Office for any problems that may come up.

Among the questions that may come up are those having to do with whether a particular course can be awarded Academic Core credit. Courses that transfer in as a JCU equivalent in any particular division can be used to fulfill a divisional requirement, but may not necessarily carry the special letter designations such as “D,” “L,” “R,” “S” or “W.” Students may use the student academic course petition form to get the special designation for such courses and must supply evidence (course description, syllabus, etc.) that a course meets the intent of the special designation as indicated in the  document.

Courses that transfer into departments as electives will not automatically satisfy divisional  requirements. Courses that transfer in as general electives not affiliated with any department do not count in the divisional requirements of the . No more than two of the special designation requirements (DLSRW) in the  can be satisfied by transfer courses.

Students with 55 or more transfer hours may petition to have a maximum of 6 hours waived. Normally this will include the First Year Seminar. Requirements that will not be waived include courses in Division V (PL and RL); D, R, S, and W courses; HS or AH, L, MT, and Laboratory Science. Exceptions to the above and/or questionable cases are handled by the University Core Committee through the normal academic petition process.

How can I get Advanced Placement credit from high school?

Any student who has taken advanced placement courses in high school may apply to the College Board to have test results sent to the university’s Registrar’s Office. If a minimum score is met, the university converts it to college credit at JCU. For more information, go to the College Board website and the JCU Undergraduate Bulletin. Course credit given to AP courses will satisfy divisional requirements of the JCU Core Curriculum. However, Core special designations (D, R. W or W) are not awarded to AP courses.

How can I get International Baccalaureate credit from high school?

Students enrolled in an IB curriculum must request a transcript from IBNA (International Baccalaureate North America) and ask them to send it directly to John Carroll. For more information, refer to the JCU Undergraduate Bulletin.

When a new bulletin comes out, am I bound by the old one or the new one?

When the student starts taking classes at JCU, the bulletin in effect for that semester governs what rules will apply in areas such as Core requirements. When a student declares a major, usually during the second semester of his or her sophomore year, academic major requirements in force at that time apply. Students seeking exception to any of these rules may petition the dean of the appropriate college. You should begin such a process with your academic advisor, then fill out the petition online and submit it for approval. The petition will ultimately be forwarded to the Assistant Dean’s Office.

How do I register for courses?

Registration at John Carroll is now done through an online system called “Banner Web.” Incoming freshmen registering at Summer Orientation will work side-by-side with an academic advisor at a computer workstation on the second day of that visit. After that, students are expected to consult with their advisors on a plan. If satisfied the plan is good, the advisor will electronically release the student to register. The student may then complete that process online (on or off campus) or, do so in person at the Registration Office in Rodman Hall, Rm 205-206. The first date a student may register for courses for the next semester will be determined by the Registrar’s Office based on a “priority registration schedule” that takes into account class standing. Honors program and nontraditional evening students may be granted an exception to the priority schedule.

How do I know when it’s time to register?

Students may find their registration date by looking on Banner Web. Usually, the Registrar’s Office will send a notice to all students about when registration opens and advise them to check Banner Web to find out when they can register.

What if I’m having trouble getting into my Banner Web account?

Call the IT Help Line 216-397-3005 or go to the Registration Office in Rodman Hall, Rm 205-206.

Can I register for more than 18 hours?

The course load for a full-time student is between 12 to 18 semester credit hours. This course load will vary depending on the student’s academic and financial records. Additional tuition will be charged for a course load of more than 18 hours. Permission to carry more than 18 hours requires a grade point average of at least a 3.0 in the previous semester and permission of the academic Assistant Deans. A Course Overload Permission Form should be submitted prior to approval.

Core Curriculum Requirements

What is the “Core” and why do I have to do it?

The Core Curriculum in the Liberal Arts is a set of courses required to be taken by every student over the course of four years at JCU. Its purpose is described in the University Bulletin: “A liberal education consists of two parts, a Core curriculum and study in depth in a major field. All undergraduate degree-seeking students initially enroll in the College of Arts and Sciences, where they fulfill division requirements of the University Core Curriculum. The liberal arts deal with the creative, social and scientific developments of past and present cultures and their ideals and human values. These studies impart an appreciation for complexity and the ability to think critically, to solve and resolve problems, and to write and speak with precision and clarity.

“The Core emphasizes the development of whole human persons who are educated in the humanizing arts and sciences; skilled in expression and in scholarly investigation; and aware of the interrelationship of all knowledge and the interdependence of all peoples. Moreover, it promotes the integration of faith and culture by imparting a deeper knowledge of, and respect for, the student’s own cultural and religious traditions as well as those of others. Finally, it highlights intellectual, moral and spiritual principles, and the responsible social actions (that) flow from them.”

What are the core course requirements?

The course requirements, which come to 57 credit hours, cover five divisions (See the John Carroll Undergraduate Bulletin for more information).

Division I: 17 credits
First-Year Seminar, 3 credits
English Composition, 6 credits
Speech Communication, 2 credits
Foreign Language, 6 credits

Division II: 9 credits in Art History, Communication and Theatre Arts, Classical & Modern Languages, English, & History
Three courses: one literature course, one either History or Art History, and one additional course which may be from any of these departments.

Division III: 6 credits in Economics, Political Science, and Sociology & Criminology
Two courses from two disciplines.

Division IV: 10 credits in Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, and Psychology
Three courses: one Mathematics course; one laboratory science course in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or a lab science course that integrates these three disciplines; and one additional course. To fulfill the science with lab requirement, the science course must have a lab attached to it – they cannot be taken separately.

Division V: 15 credits in Philosophy and Religious Studies
Three Philosophy courses (first PL 101, and then a 200 and a 300 in either order) and two Religious Studies courses (first RL101, and then one other).

The course schedule on Banner gives further information about what sections fulfill what requirements.

What are the Core letter requirements?

There are five letter requirements that add special emphasis to some courses to demonstrate larger perspectives of study. For example, a class with a “D” indicates the course includes instruction and discussion that focus on issues of diversity. The Literature (“L”) designation marks courses that emphasize the ability to read critically and write clearly. A writing intensive (“W”) course builds on the discipline and habits of good writing already learned in composition courses by asking students to do extra writing for advanced courses. The idea is to intensify the expectation of professors throughout the university for excellent standards of expression in all written assignments.

Students are asked to take two courses designated “R” (Asian, African, Latin American perspective) or one “R” and one “S” (Western perspective) to indicate an emphasis on international perspectives in the material. The University Core seeks to increase a student’s awareness and knowledge of the world beyond the borders of the United States. International courses introduce and analyze the values, beliefs, or practices that characterize other nations or societies. International courses seek to familiarize students with other societies, to decrease stereotyping, and to improve a student’s ability to function as a global citizen in the twenty-first century.

At least one of the international courses must focus on the study of one or more nations or societies historically distinct from Western civilization, such as those of Africa, Asia and Latin America. These courses will be designated with the suffix “R.” For their second international selection, students may choose either a second “R” course or from among courses designated as “S.” The “S” designation refers to courses which study one or more nations or societies historically within Western Civilization, including the North American and European continents.

Courses that have both diversity and international designations count for only one of the two designations. No more than two special designations D, R, S, or W may be taken at another school to fulfill Core.

The course schedule on Banner gives further information about what sections fulfill what requirements, or refer to the John Carroll Undergraduate Bulletin for more information.

How can I keep track of what courses I need?

Students may access an individual “Degree Evaluation” by taking the following steps:

1. Go to the Registrar’s web page
2. Enter Banner Web
3. Enter Secure Area
4. Enter Banner ID (T… or B…)
5. Enter PIN
6. Select Student Services and Financial Aid
7. Select Student Records
8. Request “Degree Evaluation”
9. Choose the term (Select the term you entered John Carroll University.)
10. Identify a major, if necessary
11. Select “Generate new evaluation”

Faculty may generate an advisee’s Degree  Evaluation by doing the following:
1. Go to the Registrar’s web page
2. Enter Banner Web
3. Enter Secure Area
4. Enter faculty member’s own User ID (T… or B…)
5. Enter PIN
6. Select Faculty and Advisors
7. Select Advisor Menu
8. Request “Degree Evaluation”
9. Choose the term
10. Identify the student’s major
11. Select “Generate new evaluation”

How do cross-listed courses work?

A cross-listed course is the same course offered from two different departments. No single course can count for two divisions. Cross-listed courses count only in the division of the course you sign up for.

If the student wants to change the department of the course cross-listed, a petition is needed. It must be signed by the chairpersons of the two departments and by the dean. The student is responsible for changing his/her course registration, implying a late fee, if it is beyond the first week of classes.

Do transfer students get any special Core consideration?

Under special circumstances, transfer students with 55 or more accepted credits upon entrance may petition to waive a maximum of six credits of Core requirements. Transfer students with 25 or more accepted credits upon entrance may waive the first-year seminar. Requirements that will not be waived include courses in Division V (PL and RL); D, R, S, and W courses; HS or AH, L, MT, and Laboratory Science. Exceptions to the above and/or questionable cases are handled by the UCC through academic petition.

Academic petitions for Core and/or special designation for transfer courses that were not given such designation(s) when you matriculated into JCU have to be submitted by the end of your second semester at JCU for them to be considered.

To receive Core credit for a course elsewhere, a student must first complete the Transient Petition form. For divisional Core and/or special designation, you must petition and supply evidence (course description, syllabus, etc.) that a course so qualifies. No more than two special designations D, R, S, W may be taken elsewhere to fulfill Core requirements once you have matriculated into JCU.

Can I transfer a letter course?

A new John Carroll student transferring from another university may seek transfer of a letter designation by submitting an Academic Petition form. A student who is already enrolled at JCU should complete a Transient Student Petition form to get pre-approval before enrolling in the course at another university.

Must foreign and non-traditional students satisfy the language requirement?

Foreign nationals whose native language is not English are exempt from the foreign language requirement. Non-traditional students (part-time, evening, or returning to college after an absence of five years from formal education) may satisfy the foreign language requirement by an alternative method approved by the chair of the CMLC department, the director of the UCCLA, and the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences.

Can I take Core courses pass/fail?

No course used to fulfill the University Core may be taken on a pass/fail basis. However, non-major, minor, core and elective courses may be taken pass/fail. Business majors may not use the P/F option for any of the Business core courses. (See “How can I take a class pass/fail?” above.)

Are there suggestions on how to fulfill the Core?

Students are encouraged to take Speech (CO100) and English Composition (EN111-112) courses in their first year because these are building blocks and in some cases prerequisites for other courses. The nine-hour Core requirement in philosophy may be fulfilled by taking PL 101 first, and then a 200-level and a 300-level course in either order. Most 400-level courses cannot be used to fulfill divisional requirements in the Core. Some courses in a student’s major, such as American Politics (PO101) or Intro to Psychology (PS101) can be used to fulfill divisional requirements in the Core.

Courses that satisfy Core requirements, including letter designations, may vary from semester to semester and instructor to instructor. To be certain a course meets divisional or letter requirements, students should consult the listings on Banner Web as they prepare to register for each semester. Those listings are in the Registration Utilities section of Banner Web and student and faculty do not have to log in to the site to see them. Choose “Class schedule,” select a term and then click on “View classes by Core codes.”

What if I have further questions about the Core?

Students who have questions about the Core should contact their academic advisors. Faculty may send questions to the Core Curriculum Committee Director.

Advising Resources

How does the advising program work?

Students will be assigned an academic advisor in the freshman/sophomore program through the Associate Dean’s Office. The advisor — a faculty member — is available to assist students with their academic planning and course scheduling while at John Carroll University. Students are encouraged to contact their advisor at any time. However, the Assistant Dean’s Office will send students an e-mail message once each semester urging them to schedule an appointment with their advisor during each semester of their freshman and sophomore years.

The role of the academic advisor is to assist students in making academic decisions, provide students with reliable and current information on academic programs, be able to refer students to the appropriate services on campus, be familiar with University policies and procedures, monitor student progress in course work, help students clarify their academic situation and assist them in taking responsible action to resolve it, and discuss with students their academic and career objectives.

What should a student expect during freshman and sophomore advising sessions?

Freshmen will be assigned to and participate in the cohort advising program for the first month of classes. After that, freshman should schedule appointments with advisors individually as needed or required. Freshmen and sophomores are encouraged to meet with their “pre-major” advisor at least twice each semester.  The first of these sessions each semester should monitor progress and success in courses. Students who are experiencing difficulty may be referred to tutoring and other appropriate support services on campus.  Freshmen who need more help in adjusting to the demands of study may be encouraged to take AR120, “Purpose and Place: exploring Campus, community, and Self.” Students who want help in deciding career possibilities may enroll in CE111, “Exploring Your Options.” On the second meeting the advisor and student will plan a list of courses for the next semester, including alternatives for classes that fill up before the student’s priority registration date.  Students will be encouraged to ask questions about the Core, possible majors, minors and concentrations, and any other issues or concerns. At the end of the second session, the student will prepare an “Academic Program Recommendation” (APR) form and the advisor will release the student electronically to be ready register at the priority date and time.

At the sophomore level, the advisor and student may discuss possible majors and minors and the advisor may direct the student to “Meet Your Major” programs.

What should a student expect from an advisor at the junior and senior levels?

By this point the student should have declared a major and been assigned to an academic advisor in the particular department that oversees that major. As with freshman and sophomore years, students are expected to have two meetings in each semester, but the student has greater responsibility to prepare for those meetings, such as by completing a degree evaluation on Banner Web and search course schedules for the next semester to make tentative choices. Again, the academic advisor will review those choices, offer advice and then release the student to register electronically or by signing an APR filled out by the student. Other than helping the student prepare a schedule, advisors at that level will discuss internship opportunities, specialization of courses to match a student’s specific interest or point to research opportunities on or off-campus.

How can I change my academic advisor?

Changing advisors is not uncommon and is normally handled confidentially through the Associate Dean’s Office. Stop in the Associate Dean’s Office (Room AD05) to complete a Change of Advisor form to be assigned to a new advisor in the freshman/sophomore advising program. Freshmen are discouraged from changing advisors until the second semester. Once you are admitted to a major program, please see the department to make a change in advisor.

Can my parents see my JCU records?
The university offers Web4Parent, a new Banner Web option which enables students to complete an electronic authorization to allow their parents to view some of the students’ JCU records online.  Web4Parent will replace the hard copy release forms that students have traditionally completed to authorize release of their records.  Students control what their parents are permitted to see and can choose from among the following information for parents to view online:  student account and/or financial aid information; midterm and/or final grades; class schedule; current address, phone and email information; emergency contact information. Web4Parent is initially available to freshmen and sophomores only.  An email was sent to all freshman and sophomore students to announce Web4Parent and provide instructions for using it.

What internships are available for academic majors?

Internships for credit may be arranged through many academic majors. In addition, up to three hours of credit may be earned through prearranged cooperative education work experience. John Carroll University is also formally affiliated with internship programs at The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars and at American University. Internships can also be arranged through study abroad.

The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars: This program offers qualified JCU students the opportunity to work in their chosen fields in Washington, D.C. Full-time internships are available for all majors and areas of interest. 12-16 hours of academic credit are granted for the experience and housing is available. Financial aid is available if students qualify. For more information contact The Washington Center ( or

American University: A semester program at American University in Washington, D.C., is also available through JCU’s Political Science Department. This program includes courses and part-time internships. Housing and financial aid are available to qualified students. Contact the department chair.

What resources are available if I have trouble with courses?

Students may make an appointment with the Assistant Dean’s Office (216-397-4211) to discuss study, time management and other strategies.

Students may make an appointment with a counselor in the University Counseling Services x4283 to discuss stress and time management strategies as well as test anxiety.

Minority Students may contact the Center for Diversity and Inclusion at x4185 for academic support programs.

Writing Center O’Malley Center; Room 207 (216) 397-4529

The Learning Commons on the 1st floor of Grasselli Library and Breen Learning Center. The Learning Commons Schedule

Several departments offer tutoring help; contact the individual department for more information.

What special resources are there for international students?

The Center for Global Education ( serves as the primary contact to support the unique needs of international students at John Carroll University. This office is able to offer advice on employment authorization, maintaining their visa status while in the United States, travel, and practical everyday issues. Dr. David Kleinberg ( is the Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) and Responsible Office (RO) at John Carroll University,responsible for all international students and scholars with F-1 or J-1 visas. Mrs. Kathryn Schiffer ( and Mrs. Rebecca Dinnen ( also serve as Designated School Officials. The international student advisors, Dr. Julia Karolle-Berg and Dr. Susan Long, are also responsible for university students who are in the United States on an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa.

International students have been an important part of the University community of John Carroll for many years. The education of students from all parts of the world has been an important part of the international education that the Jesuit character of the university promotes. International Students on F-1 and J-1 visas come from more than a dozen countries, including Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Senegal , Ethiopia, Rwanda, Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Belize, India, United Kingdom, Nigeria, Bahamas, Vietnam, Guatemala, Kenya, Rwanda, Canada, Spain, Germany, Ireland, Croatia, Romania. Zambia. Israel, Czech Republic, Malaysia, Burkina Faso, Hungary, Singapore, and Turkey.

International students are offered a special orientation session at the beginning of their studies, have special English composition courses available to them, and international freshmen take part in the SoftLandings Program ( to help them assimilate to the American education system. All international students may make use of all of the support services and participate in all activities open to any student on campus.

What special resources are there for minority students?

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion at JCU supports the academic success and overall adjustment to campus life of historically underrepresented students. In addition, through direct service to students and by promoting a welcoming campus environment, the Center works to improve the recruitment, retention and graduation rates of these students. The office provides tutors, mentors, social activities and support services to students and awards a limited number of grants and scholarships. The Center is located in the Student Center, Suite 202.

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion serves as a one-stop resource center for underrepresented students. It provides general assistance and referrals on financial aid matters, academic issues, including class selection, tuition payment options and career and job preparation. The office also supports students in social and personal matters and advocates on their behalf.

The office is affiliated with several campus student cultural organizations including African American Alliance, Latin American Student Association, Realizing Your Love For Ciultures of the East, Middle Eastern Student Association, Japan Society, Le Cercie Francais (French Club), Italian Club, Hillel@JCU, and Allies. The Center also promotes a holistic educational experience for the entire university community by fostering an appreciation of and respect for all cultures through programs, campus activities and assistance in curriculum development. It also works with various university offices and departments to improve awareness of and appreciation for racial and cultural diversity. For additional information about the office and its program, visit

What special resources are there for students with disabilities?

Students who have a documented medical, learning, or psychological disability—or suspect they might— should visit Services for Students with Disabilities to discuss ways that the office can help with academic endeavors at John Carroll. The office can assist eligible students in developing and requesting accommodations from instructors and staff; some examples include: note takers, extra time for exams, testing in a quiet room, priority registration, moving classes to minimize travel, assistive technology, and enlarged print. Services for Students with Disabilities can also provide referrals to specialists in the Cleveland area if necessary. The office is at AD07 (on the ground floor of the Administration Building near the mail room). Call 216-397-4967 or write Marianne Cicirelli, The department web site is

What forms may be useful for me?

Your advisor may use an Academic Program Recommendation (APR) form to list specific courses that you will be registering for. This form is also used to indicate the advisor’s approval for a freshman who wants to drop a class.

The “Student Academic Petition Form” is used if you want to request an exception – for example, if you want to request freshmen privilege for a course you did poorly on.

The “Student Transient Petition Form” is used if you want to take classes at another school for the summer. The advisor, Assistant Dean, Department Chair, and Core committee representative must all authorize it — prior to the student’s registration for the course — in order to meet Core requirements at John Carroll University. Certain situations may not require authorization by all of these agents.

The “Cross Registration Form” is for students who are interested in taking classes at other colleges that are part of the Northeast Ohio Council on Higher Education, including Ursuline College, Notre Dame College of Ohio, Hiram College, Lake Erie Community College, Myers University, Case Western Reserve University, Baldwin-Wallace College, Cleveland State University, the Cleveland Institute of Music, the Cleveland Institute of Art, Lakeland Community College, Lorain County Community College and Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C). These schools allow full-time students with a 2.0 or better grade-point average to register for one course per semester at other participating institutions.  This is an enrichment program, and courses eligible for cross registration are those normally not available at the home institution.  Certain restrictions apply, and approval must be granted by the Director of Academic Advising, or the Assistant Dean of the appropriate college, and the Registrars at the home and host institutions.

Audit form for Core requirements (so you can stay current on what you need to do):

Graduation form for seniors and audit sheets for various majors (listing major requirements – so you can keep up on what you need to do):

Form for audit of minors and concentrations: and concentration audit for seniors.pdf

Academic Majors, Minors, and Other Programs

What help can I get if I have trouble deciding on a major?

The major normally consists of a group of courses in a single department, a number of which must be in the upper division. The specific courses, the number to be taken for the major, and the order in which they are to be taken are defined in the sections of the Bulletin devoted to departments and course descriptions

Majors may be taken in the following fields, leading to a bachelor of arts or bachelor of arts in classics degree: Art History, Classical Languages, Classical Studies,Communication, Economics, Education (Early Childhood or Middle Childhood or Multi-Age), English, History, Mathematics Teaching, Modern Languages (French or German or Spanish), Philosophy, Physical Education and Exercise Science, Physics, Political Science, Religious Studies, Sociology& Criminology.

Majors in the sciences may be taken in the following fields, leading to the bachelor of science degree: Biology, Environmental Science, Cell & Molecular Biology, General Chemistry, BioChemistry, Comprehensive Chemistry,Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering Physics, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology

There are also interdisciplinary majors in Humanities (a self-designed liberal arts major, administered by the Department of Art History and Humanities) and World Literature (an interdisciplinary major offered by the Department of Classical and Modern Languages and Cultures and the Department of English).

The Boler School of Business offers seven different majors. Programs of concentration are offered in seven professional fields, leading to the degree of bachelor of science in business administration (B.S.B.A.) or bachelor of science in economics (B.S.E.).  Candidates for the degree of bachelor of science in business administration (B.S.B.A.) select Accountancy, Business Information Systems, Business Logistics, Finance, Management, or Marketing, while candidates for the degree of bachelor of science in economics (B.S.E.) choose Economics.

You should discuss your future major with your academic advisor. For further help, contact the Assistant Dean’s Office (B103 in the Administration Building B Wing Complex), Center for Career Services (2562 South Belvoir Blvd.) and University Counseling Center (2567 South Belvoir Blvd.).

How do I declare a major?

Students with 45 or more hours of credit earned and a 2.0 G.P.A. may declare a major. Students may check with individual academic departments. Most departments have an annual “Meet Your Major” event that is open to all interested students and provides information about courses and requirements, as well as advice on career choices related to the specific discipline. Advisors will need to discuss this selection with eligible advisees and assist with the declaration procedures.

To declare a major, met with your advisor, complete a “Declaration of Major” form (see resource tab on the College of Arts and Science website) Then schedule an appointment with the chair of the intended department. You will be assigned a new academic advisor in your new department.

Students wishing to apply to the Boler School of Business (BSOB), should complete the “Application to the Boler School of Business,” a form which may be obtained in the BSOB Dean’s office (SB 117) or online at  Once completed, the application should be returned to their freshman/sophomore advisor.

What majors are available?

Majors may be taken in the following fields, leading to a bachelor of arts or bachelor of arts in classics degree: Art History, Classical Languages, Classical Studies,Communications, Economics, Education (Early Childhood, Middle Childhood, Multi-Age), English, History, Mathematics Teaching, Modern Languages (French, German, or Spanish), Philosophy, Physical Education and Exercise Science, Physics, Political Science, Religious Studies and Sociology. In the Boler School of Business, students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (B.S.B.A.) may select Accountancy, Business Information Systems, Business Logistics, Finance, Management, or Marketing as a major. Those seeking a Bachelor of Science in Economics (B.S.E.) have a major in Economics.

Majors in the sciences may be taken in the following fields, leading to the bachelor of science degree: Biology, Environmental Science, Cell & Molecular Biology, General Chemistry, BioChemistry, Comprehensive Chemistry,Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Engineering Physics, Mathematics, Physics, Psychology

What minors are available?

In addition to majors, most departments also offer optional minors, which normally consist of 18 to 21 semester hours of work in one department. Specific courses may be required by various departments. Consult the departments and course descriptions sections of the Bulletin details.

Optional minors may be completed in the following fields: American Politics, Art History, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Classical Studies, Communications, Computer Science, Creative Writing, Economics, English, Foreign Affairs, French, German, Greek, History, Humanities, Latin, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physical Education & Exercise Science, Physics & Engineering Physics, Political Science, Probability and Statistics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology and Spanish.

What interdisciplinary concentrations are available?

In addition to the required major and optional minor programs, the university also offers a number of interdisciplinary concentrations and programs as options to supplement and strengthen specific degree majors. Interdisciplinary concentrations consist of approximately 18 to 39 semester hours of course work in which the student has attained at least a 2.0 (C) average. To qualify for a concentration students must complete all the requirements of the related major as specified in the Bulletin. A completed concentration is noted on the transcript. For further details concerning concentrations, programs, and recommended courses, students are advised to contact the coordinator/director or the chairperson of a department participating in the concentration or program. The contact secretary for all concentrations is located in the Department of Political Science in the Administration Building. See also the bulletin.

Interdisciplinary concentrations are available in Africana Studies, Aging Studies, Biochemistry/Molecular Biology, Catholic Studies, East Asian Studies, Economics/Mathematics, Environmental Studies, International Business, International Economics & Modern Language, International Studies, Italian Studies, Latin American Studies, Modern European Studies, Neuroscience, Perspectives on Sex & Gender, Political Communication, Public Administration and Policy Studies, Spanish and Sociology. See  for more information on these.

How do I report a minor or concentration?

To report a minor or concentration, students should go to the office of the academic department that represents that minor or one of the departments in the concentration. Students seeking a business minor should inquire at the Assistant Dean Office in the Boler School of Business (SB117).

What is the honors program?

The university offers an Honors Program to a selected number of outstanding students from both the College of Arts and Sciences and the Boler School of Business. Membership is open to those students who demonstrate potential for excellence as determined by such data as educational record, test scores, letters of recommendation, writing samples, and an interview with the program director.

Satisfactory completion of the Honors Program will be noted at the time of graduation and will be posted on each student’s permanent record. The diploma from John Carroll University will note that the recipient is an Honors Scholar.

See for more information on the honors program, its requirements, and courses.

How can I get information about studying abroad?

The Center for Global Education helps students make contact with various study-abroad programs conducted by accredited universities throughout the United States. A year or semester abroad can enhance your major academic program, refine foreign language skills, strengthen learning and appreciation of culture and diversity, and increase job opportunities.

Students should complete one year at JCU before studying abroad and, depending on the study abroad program, a GPA of 2.5 or higher is highly recommended. However, freshman and sophomores are strongly encouraged to discuss study abroad with their academic advisor and the Coordinator of Study Abroad because it often requires more careful academic planning.

How can I do an internship for college credit?

Check first with your major department to see if you are eligible for credit through the department. If not, then you must be at least sophomore status with a minimum 2.2 GPA to register for academic credit through the Center for Career Services (216-397-4237)