Web 4 Parents allows specific student pages to be viewed by parents. It is the student’s authorization that then allows the parent(s) to see all, some or none of the pages available.
Web for Parents FAQ and Instructions
- How do I access the Web for Parent application?
- What are the suggested guidelines for creating a security question?
- What if I forget my PIN (personal identification number)?
- Who do I contact if I experience difficulty with the Web for Parent application?
- What is FERPA?
- Why am I able to access the Banner Web product from home, but I get an error message when I try to access it from my place of employment?
- I have two children who attend John Carroll, but only one of my children’s names appears as a selection. Why is that?
- What pages can I see?
If you have been granted access by your student, you can view their information by following the instructions below:
- Open the John Carroll University home page http://www.jcu.edu
- On the upper right of the home page, click on Inside JCU and then click on BannerWeb.
- Click on Enter Secure Area and login using the Banner User ID and PIN that was mailed to you
During your initial login, you will see a message indicating that your PIN has expired. You then will be required to change your PIN, setup a security question/answer and acknowledge the Terms of Usage.
- Select the Parent Access (web4parent) menu option
- Select Show Student Information
- Select a Name from the drop down list
- Select Submit
- Select the Page to view
- Select Exit when you are finished
The question should be something that only you can answer.
You can use the ‘Forgot PIN’ button on the login page. After typing in your User ID number you can select the ‘Forgot PIN” button and the system will allow you to change your PIN if you answer your question correctly.
Should you need assistance navigating through Banner Web, or experience any other difficulties you should contact your son or daughter. Since the student uses the same web pages that you will be using, the student should be the first and best resource for help. If you are unable to resolve the issue the student can send an e-mail to Michelle Walker at email@example.com.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of students and prohibits the Institution from disclosing any student information, including financial information, without the explicit authorization of the student. FERPA regulations are strictly adhered to in the design of Web for Parent application. The student must authorize your access to his or her information.
Many businesses have a firewall that will not allow access to some outside internet sites. You may have to contact the network administrator at your workplace to see if an adjustment can be made to the firewall software to allow you to access the John Carroll site.
To be in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the student has complete control over what information, if any, his/her parent(s) can view. If your student’s name does not appear he/she has not granted you access to their account information.
‘Web for Parents’ allows specific student pages to be viewed by parents. It is the student’s authorization that then allows the parent(s) to see all, some or none of the pages available. Some ‘Web for Parents’ pages include links to other pages that are not a part of ‘Web for Parents’ and, consequently, will not display for you. In those cases, use your browser’s back button to return to the jump off page.