A team of John Carroll University political science students earned an honorable mention award, along with five individual honors, at the recent Ohio Valley Regional Model Arab League.
The JCU delegation represented Egypt at the competition, which was held at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. The students had prepared for the simulation since the beginning of the spring semester with their advisor, political science professor Mona DeBaz.
Participating in Model Arab League were:
- Samerra Allooh ’13, who was recognized as an outstanding delegate in the Palestinian Affairs Council.
- Bill Cook ’13, who was recognized as an outstanding delegate in the Council of Arab Social Affairs Ministers.
- Kaelyn Gates ’14
- DeVaughn Hammett ’15
- Paul Hanna ’13, who received an honorable mention award in the Joint Defense Council.
- Laura Kisthardt ’13
- Nick Santucci ’13, who received an honorable mention award in the Joint Defense Council.
- Kathrine Wozniak ’13, who was recognized as an outstanding delegate in the Palestinian Affairs Council.
The National Council on U.S.-Arab Relations’ Model Arab League program helps students learn about the politics and history of the Arab world, and the arts of diplomacy and public speech. The program seeks to prepare students to be knowledgeable, well-trained, and effective citizens, as well as civic and public affairs leaders.
The Model Arab League Club’s mission is educational. It seeks to enhance the John Carroll University community’s awareness, knowledge and understanding of Arab states, the Middle East and the Islamic world. Its means for doing so encompass but are not limited to students’ involvement in leadership activities that include: the National Council on US-Arab Relations annual regional Model Arab League conference, student’s forums, information sessions and participation in national Arab League conferences. As a student organization, the Model Arab League Club serves as an educational body dedicated to inspiring John Carroll students to excel in learning and leadership outside the classroom. In these ways, the Model Arab League Club helps develop student leadership skills and enriches the knowledge of the overall Arab-US relationship.
If interested in joining, please contact Prof. Mona Debaz at email@example.com.
For more information about JCU’s political science program, visit the Department of Political Science website.