Can I get academic credit for my internship?
Yes! Students of all majors are eligible to enroll for 1-3 credit hours for their internship experience. Students may also elect to receive a zero credit transcript notation for their experience. The internship courses are designed to promote individual career development and self-awareness by integrating classroom learning with practical work experience.
What are the eligibility requirements for academic internships?
- Must be at least sophomore status with a minimum 2.2 GPA
- Must be able to acquire 135 work hours from the time of registration until the end of the semester in which you will be receiving credit.
Important things to note:
- No retroactive credit will be given.
- If completing an internship during the summer, you may either take it for summer term credit and pay per credit hour or you may defer into the fall.
- Not all internships will qualify for CE course credit. Please see the Internship Coordinator to verify eligibility.
- All courses are Pass/Fail. One-three credit courses count as general elective credits. Students may complete a maximum of four Career Education credits in total.
What is required of me for each option of the academic internship?
- 1 credit option: Job Description, Learning Agreement, Learning Objectives, Performance Evaluation, Five page Reflection Paper, Updated Resume, Log of Hours, Return Interview.
- 2 credit option: Job Description, Learning Agreement, Learning Objectives, Performance Evaluation, Seven page Reflection Paper, Updated Resume, Informational Interviews, Log of Hours, Return Interview.
- 3 credit option: Job Description, Learning Agreement, Learning Objectives, Performance Evaluation, Informational Interviews, discussion questions, 10 page Reflection Paper, Updated Resume, Log of Hours, Return Interview.
- 0 credit option: Learning Agreement, Job Description, Learning Objectives, Updated Resume, Performance Evaluation, Log of Hours, Return Interview.
Where do I get the forms to sign up for an academic internship?
- You may download the Learning Agreement and Learning Objectives Worksheet or pick them up at the Career Center.
What do I do once I have completed all the paperwork?
- Once you have a signed Learning Agreement, Job Description, and at least three Learning Objectives completed in the outlined format, call us at 216.397.4237 to set up an appointment to register for the appropriate course.
Is there any funding available for unpaid internships?
- Funding is available for students doing unpaid internships. Funding is not guaranteed and each award has specific guidelines that must be met. You may not receive both sources of funding for the same internship.
- Please refer to the most recent information and application materials. No awards will be made retroactively. Students must apply and register for their internship course in advance of the required number of hours to be worked.
The Belda Fund Award
- Students of all majors working in unpaid internships in NE Ohio are eligible for up to $500 per fiscal year (June 1 to May 31) in reimbursement for travel costs to/from internship site. Requires enrollment in CE-199, 102, 103, 104 or in a qualifying internship course through your academic department.
- Download and print the Belda Application for UNPAID internships 2014-2015.
The Michael J. Lavelle Community Partnership Fellowship
- Students of all majors working in unpaid internships at a non-profit organization are eligible for up to $2500
- Please contact Lindsey Calkins, Ph.D., in the Boler School of Business for an application form and eligibility requirements.