Freshman Admission

Admission to John Carroll University is a very deliberate and personal process. Admission is based on a broad range of criteria which emphasize varieties of scholarship and talent. An in-depth review of each applicant will produce answers to two important questions:

(1) Will the student succeed at John Carroll?

(2) How will the student contribute to the John Carroll community?

Academically, the most important consideration is the overall strength of course work and academic ability as demonstrated through secondary school achievement. Extracurricular involvement, performance on standardized tests, a writing sample, and counselor and teacher recommendations are also weighed.

An effort is made to attract candidates of diverse economic, racial, and religious backgrounds, to maintain wide geographic representation in each class, and to actively seek significant talents of all kinds.

A visit to the University is encouraged for all potential students. Arrangements can be made for group information sessions and campus tours through the Office of Admission or by visiting Also, personalized visits to attend classes, meet with faculty, or experience many other aspects of our community can be arranged for high school seniors (weekdays only). Office hours are weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Group presentations and tours are also offered on select Saturdays during the fall, winter, and spring.

Application Procedures

John Carroll University is an exclusive member of the Common Application, which means the Common Application is the only application accepted for freshman admission. Students may apply to the University using the paper Common Application or online at A paper application can also be downloaded from the admission website at There is no fee to apply to John Carroll University whether by paper or online.

1. Submit a Common Application, including our supplemental form, to the Office of Admission. Candidates for the freshman class may apply for admission at any time during their senior year of high school, but not more than 12 months prior to entrance.

Note: Students planning on majors in business will initially apply for admission to the College of Arts and Sciences. During their sophomore year they may apply for admission to the Boler School of Business. (See procedures outlined under “Boler School of Business,” page 77).

2. Arrange with the high school(s) attended to send complete transcripts to the Office of Admission. Students who are home-schooled should have any and all supporting documentation and transcripts submitted, such as the grading scale or methods of evaluation used, course descriptions, and any information on a distance learning program or homeschooler’s association.

3. Ask a guidance counselor and/or teacher at the high school last attended to complete the Teacher Evaluation and/or the Secondary School Form through the Common Application and send it with the transcript to the Office of Admission.

4. Submit the results of testing by either the College Board (SAT I) or the American College Testing Program (ACT). See the “Testing” section below.

5. Applicants wishing to apply for need-based financial aid should complete and submit online the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form found at This form is used to award institutional as well as federal and state assistance. All applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a FAFSA, regardless of family income. The form should be submitted for processing as soon after January 1 as possible. The University’s priority application deadline for financial aid is February 15.

Application Deadlines

The Office of Admission has specific admission application and notification dates for freshman applicants. Please refer to the admission website at for the most current information, as dates may change from year to year. Typically, our deadlines are as follows:

  • December 1—Early Action I and Priority Scholarship Consideration Deadline
  • February 1—Early Action II Deadline
  • After February 1—Rolling admission on a space-available basis

To be fully considered for all of our merit scholarship programs, students should apply for freshman admission by the priority scholarship deadline of December 1.

Enrollment Confirmation

Admitted students reserve their place in the freshman class by submitting an Enrollment Reservation Form and a $300 enrollment deposit. This deposit is refundable until May 1 by written request and non-refundable after May 1 for applicants who fail to register or who withdraw after registration. For students who are eligible to receive the Federal Pell Grant as part of their financial aid award package, the $300 enrollment deposit is not required when submitting the Enrollment Reservation Form.

Freshman applicants who are not commuting (living exclusively in the permanent and primary residence of legal guardians) are required to live on campus for their first two years. Applicants must indicate on their Enrollment Reservation Form whether or not they intend to live on campus.

There is no deadline for enrollment deposits; however, May 1 is the last date which will guarantee an accepted applicant a place in the freshman class and/or a place in the residence halls. Any requests received after that date will be accepted on a space-available basis at the discretion of the Office of Admission and, in the case of residence hall status, the Office of Residence Life.


All degree-seeking freshman applicants must submit the results of testing by either the College Board (SAT I) or the American College Testing (ACT) Program.

SAT I: Applicants taking the SAT I should present the results from examinations taken in either their junior or senior year of secondary school. To have scores sent directly to the University, John Carroll’s SAT code is 1342.

Students may obtain registration forms and general information either from their secondary school guidance office or from the College Board website

Regarding the College Board’s optional Score Choice feature, John Carroll University considers an applicant’s highest section scores across all SAT test dates that are submitted. Applicants should feel free to send any additional scores that they want to make available to John Carroll.

ACT: Students planning to complete the battery of tests administered through the American College Testing Program may obtain information and registration forms from their secondary school guidance office or from the ACT website To have scores sent directly to the University, John Carroll’s ACT code is 3282. John Carroll University recommends but does not require the additional Writing Test offered by ACT.

Please Note: Students whose first language is a language other than English and/or who live outside the United States may submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam in lieu of SAT or ACT scores.

International Admission

Candidates for admission who officially reside in countries outside of the U.S. and are not U.S. citizens must file an application and provide official transcripts certifying their complete secondary education. These credentials (with English translations) must be submitted at least 60 days in advance of the term for which the student intends to register.

Applicants should also present the results of qualifying examinations, the College Board (SAT I) or the American College Testing (ACT) results, and/or the TOEFL or IELTS.

International student applicants also must complete the Financial Guarantee Statement, which is a declaration of financial resources available to meet obligations incurred while attending the University. International students not having their own personal health insurance are required to purchase a student health plan.

A tentative evaluation of credit is made at the time of matriculation, subject to cancellation or revision as the student demonstrates English-language fluency and successfully completes a semester of study in a full-time (12 credit hours minimum) program. Immigration laws require foreign students on a student visa (F-1) to carry a full course of study in every semester of the academic year in order to maintain their status. It is requested that all international students see the student advisor at the Center for Global Education during the first week of class.

Transfer Admission

To be considered as a transfer student, a student must have previously earned a high school diploma or equivalent. The completion of any college-level courses while in high school alone does not make one a transfer student and would require completion and review of an application for freshman admission.

Students in good academic and behavioral standing at another accredited university, college, or junior college are welcome to apply for transfer to John Carroll University. The University considers academic record, recommendations, character, and evidence of commitment to studies when evaluating a transfer applicant for admission. John Carroll reserves the right to deny admission to any applicant.

Transfer applicants on probation, suspended, or dismissed for any reason from another accredited university, college, or junior college are ineligible for admission until one calendar year has elapsed from the date of such probation, suspension, or dismissal and will not be admitted except by special action of the Committee on Admission.

Transfer students should submit to the Office of Admission official copies of college transcripts from all colleges attended. Failure to report collegiate-level attendance at any institution will make a student liable for immediate dismissal. A high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores must be submitted ONLY for applicants who have completed fewer than 24 semester hours at a college or university. In addition, a Transfer Reference Form, found at, must be submitted from the applicant’s current school or the school most recently attended.

Transfer students must be in good standing at the time of application. For those who have attended only one college or university, the most recent term average and the cumulative average must be 2.0 or better to be considered for admission. For those who have attended more than one college or university, the most recent term average and the cumulative average at the home school must be 2.0 or better to be considered for admission. In addition, the cumulative average for all schools attended must be 2.0 or better. A GPA or 2.5 or above, however, is strongly recommended.

Students may apply to transfer to the University using the institution’s online application found at Students may also submit a transfer application through the Common Application online at There is no fee to apply to John Carroll University. Applications must be submitted by August 1 for the fall semester or by January 1 for the spring semester.

Credit Evaluation

Determination of credit transferability occurs at the time of admission evaluation and decision. A listing of the applicant’s courses and credits which are transferable to John Carroll University will be sent to the admitted student shortly after the admission decision has been made. All academic petitions of transfer courses for further consideration (i.e., divisional Core and/or special designations) must be submitted by the end of the second semester after matriculation in order to be considered. Petitions should be submitted (with course descriptions and syllabi) through our online petition process found at

Credit for advanced standing will be accepted from regionally accredited institutions, subject to the following restrictions: Credit will not be given for courses completed with the lowest passing grade, though these courses need not always be repeated; courses completed with a “Pass” grade will not be accepted unless it can be established that the “Pass” was the equivalent of a “C-” grade or higher; no credit will be given, even as general electives, for courses in orientation, applied arts, athletics, or technical training which do not contribute to the goals of a liberal arts education.

Transfer guides for Lakeland, Cuyahoga, and Lorain County Community Colleges are available upon request and online. The limit of transfer credit from a community college is 64 semester hours (96 quarter hours). This total includes course work taken at any four-year school prior to enrollment in a community college. In no instance will a degree be awarded to a transfer student unless the last 30 semester hours have been completed at John Carroll University.

Courses completed to satisfy Core requirements must conform in content to courses offered at John Carroll University. Quantitatively, credits from other schools must be within one credit hour of the Core requirements in the subject area involved. Quality points and grades are not transferred, only credit hours. Approval of application of transfer credits to a major program is determined by the chair of the major department with the approval of the appropriate dean. Most departments require that at least half of the major be completed at John Carroll University. For the specific requirements, transfer students should consult the sections of this Bulletin devoted to individual departments and majors.

Credit will be given for courses completed under the auspices of the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES), providing they are equivalent to those offered by John Carroll University. Credit may also be given for military training as indicated by the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations for training courses. For assistance in obtaining an official transcript of military training, please contact the Director of Veterans Affairs, LTC(R) Eric Patterson, at 216-397-4947, or at

Part-Time Admission

The University welcomes students interested in attending day or evening classes on a part-time basis (11 semester hours or fewer) and provides pre-admission counseling and other services to meet part-time students’ needs.

An application form will be sent upon request or can be found online at Students are encouraged to consult with the Office of Admission about transfer of credit from other colleges and the possibility of earning advanced credit through CLEP examinations (see page 27). Qualified students with a high school diploma or GED equivalent who wish to take courses on a part-time basis may also inquire with the Office of Admission.

Part-time students transferring from community colleges or other universities must meet the requirements specified on page 21 in the section on transfer admission. After notification of admission, transfer students are sent a list of all courses accepted and the corresponding number of credits awarded.

Students interested in attending on a part-time basis are directed to the fee schedule for undergraduate courses (see page 28). Students accepted for admission for the fall semester are required to submit a $300 non-refundable tuition deposit at the time of registration.

Financial aid may be available for part-time students. Any State of Ohio grant aid, Federal Pell Grants, and Federal Stafford Loans (subsidized and/or unsubsidized loans for students enrolled for at least six hours per semester) are available to those qualifying students demonstrating financial need who file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and notify the John Carroll Office of Financial Aid. The unsubsidized Stafford Loan requires no demonstrated need. Students applying for Federal Pell Grants and/or Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) must meet appropriate application deadlines. Finally, many employees return to school with the help of their employers through corporate tuition reimbursement programs. It is advisable to check with the respective corporate benefits officer for information regarding tuition assistance. Refer to the Financial Aid section of this Bulletin for additional information (see pages 31-34).


Students in good standing who have been absent from any of the undergraduate colleges less than a calendar year and have not attended another university during that time may be readmitted and continue at the University under the same status as when they left. These students should contact the Registrar’s Office to request permission to register and to their dean or advisor for academic counseling. Students who have been absent from an undergraduate college for a calendar year or more or have attended another college or university during the period of absence are required to apply formally for readmission.

Students petitioning for readmission who have attended other colleges or universities must submit to the Office of Admission official transcripts from such schools along with a completed Transfer Reference Form, found at, before application for readmission will be considered by the Committee on Admission.

Students are held to degree and curricular requirements in force at the time of their readmission. If absence from the undergraduate college amounts to five or more years, the case for readmission will receive a special review by the Committee on Admission. Readmission, if granted, is on terms determined by this committee. At a minimum, completion of at least 30 semester hours at John Carroll upon readmission is required.


Students under notice of dismissal from either of the undergraduate colleges are excluded from the University and are ineligible to apply for readmission until one semester and summer have elapsed.

Students who wish to be considered for reinstatement after the expiration of one semester and summer must submit a written petition to the Committee on Admission. This petition should include the following:

  1. Explanation of probable reasons for the scholastic deficiencies.
  2. The manner in which the intervening time has been spent.
  3. Reasons why favorable consideration for reinstatement should be given.

Students who have attended other colleges or universities following notice of dismissal from either of the undergraduate colleges of John Carroll University must present official transcripts from any institutions attended before the Committee on Admission will consider the petition for reinstatement.

Students dismissed from the University or those who left on probation must submit their applications for readmission by August 1 for the fall semester and by December 1 for the spring semester.

Students who have been dismissed may not enroll in any divisions or register for courses in any session of the University.

Reinstated students must register for an appropriately reduced course load and earn the quality-point average specified by the committee at the time of reinstatement. Students who fail to meet the requirements set forth by the committee during the semester following reinstatement will be dismissed. Students who are reinstated must sign a letter of agreement to the conditions of reinstatement established by the Committee on Admission. In matters of reinstatement, the decisions of the Committee on Admission are final.

Students who have been dismissed a second time may not apply for further reinstatement.

Transient Admission

Students having a grade-point average of C (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or better that are eligible to continue at their own college or university may enroll at John Carroll as a transient student for one term (fall semester, spring semester, or summer term). It is expected that students meet all prerequisites for the course(s) they wish to take at JCU. Transient students must complete a Transient Student Registration Form, which is available online at No other documentation is needed.

Students who do not plan to return to their own colleges are not considered transient students. If a student plans to take courses for consecutive terms at John Carroll, a meeting with a representative from the Office of Admission is required to discuss the student’s plan. Officially applying to the institution as a transfer student and/or supplying a transcript of previously taken college course work may be requested to verify good academic standing at the home institution.

Transient students who wish to take courses during the summer sessions should submit applications according to procedures outlined in the Schedule of Summer Classes, which is available online at

High school students who have completed their junior year are eligible to enter John Carroll University for two (2) courses or eight (8) hours per semester as a high school transient student. Students must meet the following criteria:

  1. Have a GPA of 3.2 or better, and
  2. Rank in the upper half of their high school class.

Students may register for classes for which they have the appropriate prerequisites and which are not taught at their own high schools.

They must file the high school transient student application found at with the Office of Admission and present the written endorsement of the high school principal or guidance counselor certifying that the applicant meets the above requirements.

Summer Admission

Summer entrants who plan to continue studies in the fall semester as full-time students in one of the undergraduate divisions should submit applications according to freshman or transfer admission procedures. Please note that summer sessions are not designed to ease the transition between the high school and college years.

A schedule of courses is listed online at Transient students must be in good academic standing and complete the online application form.

Early Enrollment Program for High School Juniors

High school students who have completed their junior year are eligible to apply for admission to John Carroll University as full-time, degree-seeking students. These students must rank in the upper 25% of their class; present their high school transcript, acceptable SAT or ACT results, three letters of recommendation from their high school principal, guidance counselor, and one high school teacher; and be interviewed by an admission representative.

College Course Credit

Advanced Placement

Applicants may take advantage of the Advanced Placement Program of the College Board, which has encouraged the establishment of college-level courses in high school. The AP Program offers placement examinations in a variety of subject fields each spring. Information about these examinations may be obtained through the high school or the College Board website The following table shows current departmental practice regarding the AP Tests in the subjects examined. Course credit given to Advanced Placement courses will satisfy divisional requirements of the Core course equivalent at John Carroll. Core special designations (D, R, S, or W) are not awarded to Advanced Placement courses.

AP TEST Minimum Score Required for Credit Semester Hours Course Credit
Art History 4 3 AH 101
Biology 3-45 48 BL 112, 112LBL 155-158
Biology/Environmental Science 3-5 4 BL 109, 109L
Chemistry 45 36 CH electiveCH elective
Computer Science AB 3 3 CS 228
Computer Science A 3 3 CS 228
Economics Micro 3 3 EC 201
Economics Macro 3 3 EC 202
English Lang. & Comp. 4 6 EN 111-112
English Lit. & Comp. 4 6 EN 111-112
French 3 6 FR 201-202
German 3 6 GR 201-202
Government & Politics U.S. 4 3 PO 101
Government & Politics Comp. 4 3 PO 102
History, European 4 6 HS 201-202
History, U.S. 4 6 HS 211-212
History, World 4 6 HS elective(200 level)
Italian 3 6 IT 201-202
Latin 3 3 LT 232
Mathematics AB(or AB subscore on BC exam) 4 or 5 4 MT 135


Mathematics BC 34 or 5 48 MT 135

MT 135 & 136


Physics B* 3




PH elective

PH 125-126 &


Physics C-Mech. 34 45 PH 125 & 125LPH 135 & 135L
Physics E&M 34 45 PH 126 & 126LPH 136 & 136L
Psychology 4 3 PS 101
Spanish 3 6 SP 201-202
Statistics 34 or 5 33 MT 122

MT 229



*Applicants who have a score of 5 for Physics B and who have the equivalent of MT 136 may receive credit for PH 135-136 and PH 135L-136L.

Institutional Policy

Applicants who have not taken the Advanced Placement Tests but have attained a superior level of academic performance in high school will be permitted, on nationally normed examinations selected by the University, to demonstrate competence in English composition, languages at the intermediate level, and mathematics.

Degree credit is not given on the basis of such tests, but certain basic course requirements may be waived for students demonstrating high achievement. These students will be eligible to enroll in more advanced courses.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students enrolled in an IB curriculum must request a transcript from IBNA (International Baccalaureate North America) and ask them to send it directly to John Carroll. Credit will be awarded as indicated below. For courses not listed, the student must also provide a syllabus from their high school for each course being considered for transfer credit. A copy of the syllabus is sent to the departmental chair at John Carroll for their input on what transfer credit may be given. The student receives a transfer credit evaluation when the evaluation has been completed.


IB Class Equivalents
John Carroll accepts Higher Level course work only except as noted below.
BL 4,5 BL 102/102L 4 Yes
BL 6,7 BL 155-158 8 Yes
CH 5 CH 1XX 3 No
CH 6,7 CH 1XX 6 No
CS 5 CS 128 3 Yes
CS 6,7 CS 128 & 228 6 Yes
EC 5 EC 201 3 Yes
EC 6,7 EC 201/202 6 Yes
EN 6,7 EN 111/112 6 Yes
Lang (FR, GR, SP) SL 6,7 101-102 6 Yes
Lang (FR, GR, SP) HL 5,6,7 201-202 6 Yes
HS 6,7 HS 1XX 3 Yes
MT 5 MT 135 4 Yes
MT 6,7 MT 135-136 8 Yes
PH 5 PH 1XX/1XXL 4 Yes
PH 6,7 PH 125/L-126/L 8 Yes
PL 6,7 PL 101 3 Yes
PS 5,6,7 PS 101 3 Yes
SC 6,7 SC 245 3 Yes


College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Adults, 21 or older, who through personal study and effort may have developed the knowledge, understanding, and skills normally associated with certain college-level courses, may be permitted to earn up to 30 semester hours of credit on the basis of high achievement on the General and/or Subject tests administered by the College Entrance Examination Board in its College Level Examination Program (CLEP). The amount of credit granted will depend on the tests taken, the scores achieved, the degree program to be pursued, and the major field. Earned CLEP credit does not convert to letter grades and does not apply toward graduation honors. Students planning to take CLEP tests should consult the Office of Admission or their academic advisor.

CLEP exams may not be used to fulfill the last 30 semester hours of credit.