In addition to application materials, John Carroll University requires the following from international students:

Before applying to the Boler School of Business, you must complete the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor degree.

Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
Applicants who completed all or part of their education through a non-U.S. college or university are required to have their non-US credentials evaluated by an independent evaluation service. A course-by-course and grade point average equivalent evaluation are required for applicants to the Boler School of Business programs. We ask that you use one of the following agencies:

World Education Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 11623
Chicago, IL 60611-0623

Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470

Official Translations
Documents submitted in a language other than English must be accompanied by official translations.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The TOEFL is required for international applicants whose primary language is not English. A student from abroad whose native language is English, who has completed his or her work at a foreign university where English is the language of instruction, or who has graduated from an American institution is exempt from this testing requirement. Official score reports must be sent directly to John Carroll University by the Educational Testing Service. Unofficial copies of the score report may be included in the self-managed application for initial review and evaluation. This does not replace the requirement of an official score report for those applicants who are offered admission. TOEFL scores are valid for two years.

TOEFL Language Test*:

Minimum Scores

  • Paper 550
  • Computer 217
  • Internet 79

*Scores are only good for two years.

Financial Ability
International applicants who wish to obtain an I-20 for F-1 visa must include financial documentation showing the ability to finance tuition and living expenses while attending the University. This documentation is typically in the form of a bank statement and must have a current date. If the applicant is being sponsored by a third party, then the sponsor must provide a letter stating intentions to finance the applicant’s education, along with the sponsor’s financial documentation.

Tuition, room and board, and any associated fees for international students at John Carroll University is the same as for domestic students. Students who lack the means to cover these costs are encouraged to explore the possibility of applying for external scholarships and loans. The International Student Organization headquartered in New York also maintains a good list of scholarship sources that are worth exploring. Other sources of financial aid information are:

Housing Information
Students can contact the Office of Residence Life at 216.397.4408 or via email at Additional housing information may be found online: – –

Visa Status
For international students who are currently in the United States, documentation of your current visa status must be submitted with the self-managed application. Proper documentation includes:

  • Copy of I-20 and I-94 if on an F-1 visa
  • Copy of visa stamp and I-94 if on another type of visa
  • Copy of Resident Alien card, front and back, if classified as a Resident Alien

Please note: All documents submitted become property of the university and cannot be returned.