Be a mentor. Have direct involvement in helping John Carroll University students reach their full potential and graduate.
College Now Greater Cleveland’s mission is to increase college attainment through college access advising, financial aid counseling, and scholarship services. As Ohio’s largest and the nation’s first comprehensive college access nonprofit, College Now has implemented the College Now Mentoring Program – an initiative focused on increasing college retention and graduation rates among our scholarship recipients.
Most of College Now’s scholarship recipients are from low-income families and are first-generation college students. Even with College Now’s help, these students continue to face a number of obstacles – academically, socially, culturally and financially – that could adversely affect their success in college. College Now has partnered with John Carroll University to recruit mentors for its scholarship recipients who attend JCU. As an alumnus/alumna of John Carroll we hope that you consider serving as a mentor for a student. Together we can help improve college graduation rates in Northeast Ohio.
Our mentoring program is strategically designed to accommodate the busy schedules of our mentors and mentees. Below are the expectations of our mentors:
- Complete an application and attend a one-hour orientation session
- Commit to being paired with a College Now scholarship recipient mentee for the duration of their college career (pairs will be matched in summer)
- Provide advice on navigating college, career development , time management, and other life issues
- Communicate with your mentee via email or our online platform 2-3 times per month. Each mentor and mentee will have curriculum available to guide conversations
- Attend College Now hosted group events 3 times per year with your mentee
Why should you be a mentor?
- Share your knowledge and expertise, and your experiences at John Carroll University
- Impact your community by helping a student succeed both personally and professionally
- Improve your leadership skills
- Network with and learn from other mentors in the program
- Help improve college retention and graduation rates in Northeast Ohio, and ultimately, improve our region’s economy
Sign up to be a mentor at https://collegenowgc.imentorinteractive.org