John Carroll University FAFSA School Code: 003050
1. Apply for your PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. You can apply anytime for your Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN). Your PIN will be used as an electronic signature for you and your parents on the FAFSA application every year.
2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.gov. The FAFSA is available beginning January 1 of each year. You can apply directly online at www.fafsa.gov or submit a FAFSA paper form, available at your high school, local library, or by calling 800.4.FED.Aid. You can complete the FAFSA even if you have not yet filed your federal/state taxes by using your prior year’s federal tax return as an estimate. After your actual taxes are filed, you have the ability to make any necessary corrections online with the actual amounts.
- Beginning in mid-February students and parents who have filed their 2013 IRS tax return will be able to select the IRS Data Retrieval option on the FAFSA to transfer tax information to the FAFSA. We strongly encourage you to select this option during the initial filing or when subsequent corrections are made to your 2014-2015 FAFSA. This option will streamline and expedite the processing of your financial aid application. Click here for more information on the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
3. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR). After you submit your FAFSA you will receive a SAR either sent to your email address (if you listed it on your application) or your home address. Please review this document for errors. If you notice any errors, you can make the corrections online or, if you filed a paper FAFSA, the Office of Financial Aid can make them for you.
4. Wait for your John Carroll financial aid award. Beginning in late February/early March, we will mail out financial aid awards to families. Our award will detail the types of aid you are receiving, how much John Carroll will cost, and your choices of loans and other borrowing and payment options. Our staff is available for questions in understanding your award.