We have posted an informal guideline below to help incoming students understand the timing of the admission and financial aid process. Note: the timeline is not a series of deadlines. It is never too late to apply for financial assistance. Do not hesitate to call us, even if the semester has begun.
Suggested Timeline for New Fall Students
- November: Complete the Admissions application for full scholarship consideration.
- December: Apply for your Federal Personal Identification Number (PIN).
- January: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15.
- Mid-February: IRS Data Retrieval option available through FAFSA online.
- Late February/March: Award letters are mailed on a weekly basis. Our award will detail the types of aid you are receiving, how much John Carroll will cost, and your choices of loans and other borrowing and payment options. Our staff is available for questions in understanding your award.
- March/April: Accept your award online through BannerWeb. Complete Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN) if accepting Stafford or Perkins loans.
- Update FAFSA if estimates were used to originally complete the application.
- Send in your $300 Enrollment Deposit.
- May: Parents and students should begin considering payment options and apply for a parent or alternative loan if needed
- June/July: Attend Orientation and learn about payment and billing cycles and options. Meet with financial aid staff for any questions specific to your family situation that you feel we need to know.
- July: Fall semester bills sent out.
- August: On-campus residents move-in and classes begin.