Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions for Studying Abroad

How much does it cost to study abroad?

  • The cost to study abroad varies depending on the program. Cost information is available through the Center for Global Education or on its website.

How will the Office of Financial Aid know what my study abroad costs will be?

  • The Center for Global Education notifies Student Enrollment and Financial Services of all the costs associated with your program. When we receive this information, we adjust the cost of your attendance to reflect the estimated costs for your particular program. An award notice will be emailed to you with a message indicating your program costs have been added to your award. Contact the Center for Global Education with questions regarding the costs of your program, or refer to its website.

What is included in the estimated cost of my program?

  • Each study abroad program has a budget that consists of direct and indirect costs. Direct costs are those that you are billed through John Carroll, and, depending on the program, can include tuition and room and board equivalent charges, as well as program or administrative fees. Indirect costs include books and supplies, transportation, living expenses, and personal expenses. Check with the Center for Global Education to find out what is included in the costs for your specific program.

What if my financial aid award does not include my study abroad costs?

  • In some cases, you may receive an award before we receive your cost information from the Center for Global Education. If this happens, contact Student Enrollment and Financial Services so that your costs can be adjusted. We will then send you a revised financial aid award notification.

Will I be able to receive the same financial aid I would be eligible for if I were at John Carroll?

  • It depends on which program you will be participating. Some programs allow all of your John Carroll, state, and federal aid to be applied, while others only allow federal aid to be utilized. After you have decided on a study abroad program, consult a Student Services Counselor (located in Rodman Hall, room 205/206) to determine which of your aid can be used to help pay for your program.

Will my financial aid cover airfare?

  • You can apply for additional loan money through a Parent PLUS Loan or private loan to cover the cost of airfare. However, because financial aid funds do not pay to student accounts until the first day of classes and refund checks are not issued until the second week of the semester, you would need to pay your airfare first, and then reimburse yourself with money from an additional loan. Contact a Student Services Counselor in Student Enrollment and Financial Services if you have questions about this option.

Can I receive additional funding to study abroad?

  • Typically, the only additional funds available for study abroad expenses are Federal Parent PLUS Loans or private loans. Information on applying for these loans can be found by clicking here.

How will I receive my financial aid when I am studying abroad?

  • All financial aid that is able to be applied to your program will pay to your student account on the first day of the semester and will be used to pay any balance that is on your account. Any overage of funds that are left on a student’s account after all John Carroll charges have been paid will be refunded back to the student within 14 days of the start of the semester.

Why do I need to submit a consortium agreement for my study abroad program?

  • We require consortium agreements when you are participating in a study abroad program through another college or university. This is so we know how much the program costs, as the costs are set by that other college or university, not by John Carroll. Not all study abroad programs require a consortium agreement, so make sure you check with a Student Services Counselor if you are unsure.

I receive faculty/staff tuition benefits. Can those funds be used for a study abroad program?

  • Some, but not all, study abroad programs allow the use of faculty/staff benefits or tuition exchange. Check with Student Enrollment and Financial Services to determine if the program you are interested in allows these benefits.