In the community, our office:
- Represents the University to the community, and just as importantly, the community to John Carroll.
- Advises University officials and departments on matters that have community implications. “Town-gown” issues include construction, student behavior, environmental health, housing, planning, purchasing, safety, and transportation.
- Collaborates with University colleagues to define and communicate positions regarding the University’s needs and interests in the local community, particularly with respect to the campus master plan and other strategic priorities.
- Plans and coordinates meetings with city officials, neighborhood groups, and community organizations such as the John Carroll Relations Panel.
- Serves as the University’s liaison at the local level by attending both University Heights and Shaker Heights City Council and other public meetings and serving as the University’s spokesperson as appropriate.
- Serves as the University’s liaison with neighbors and community representatives in responding to requests, resolving complaints, and building positive relationships. This includes working collaboratively with the Vice President of Student Affairs office on matters related to students and student conduct while living in the community.
- Collaborates with University colleagues and community representatives to plan and promote services, programs, activities, and events (both on campus and in the community) that will add value to neighborhood relationships and ensure goodwill.
- Communicates information about government and community activities at John Carroll through personal contact, the website, email and enews, publications, and other means.
- Participates in and provides support to events and activities sponsored by public and civic entities in neighboring communities.