Major: Accountancy major
Hometown: Buffalo, New York
Update: Employed by PricewaterhouseCoopers

As a sophomore, I had the opportunity to attend leadership conferences for various “Big Four” accounting firms in Houston; Washington, D.C.; and Cleveland. During this process, I constantly felt encouraged by my academic advisor, professors, and peers.

Laura, like many Boler students, had real-world experiences early on in her four years. These opportunities put her ahead of the competition and helped her secure a full-time job during her junior year – a phenomenon we’ve dubbed Juniors with Jobs. That job security has inspired her to work harder this year. Read more in our FAQ with Laura.

How does it feel to have a job secured before you even began your senior year?

It feels awesome!! I am beyond grateful for the opportunities provided by John Carroll that led me to this point. Even though the job security is a definite relief, it has only inspired me to work harder in and outside of the classroom. I am constantly seeing concepts in class that directly relate to my internship experiences. During my four years, I was always encouraged by my peers or offered guidance by upperclassmen. I hope to serve as a resource for younger students, just as others did to me.

Has there been a truly meaningful experience at JCU that is related to business?

Boler Community Day – In the fall, a majority of Boler students, faculty, and staff participate in a day of service. There is a sense of solidarity formed when raking leaves with the Dean of the Business School. The ability to combine my passion of business and social justice is one of my favorite parts of JCU!

What about the Boler School, in general, helped prepare you for what’s next?

The Boler Professional Development (BPD) Program – From freshman to senior year, BPD classes taught me how to develop a professional presence in the business world.

How did JCU help you get your internship this past spring?

Thanks to an introductory core accounting class, I discovered my major. As a sophomore, I had the opportunity to attend leadership conferences for various “Big Four” accounting firms in Houston; Washington, D.C.; and Cleveland. During this process, I constantly felt encouraged by my academic advisor, professors, and peers. This past semester, I interned for PricewaterhouseCoopers, the largest professional services firm in the world. Upon completion of the internship, I was offered a full time job after graduation – a great way to start my summer heading into senior year.

Anything else you’d like to add?

Major in Accounting!! Just kidding (kind of…). In all seriousness, my best experiences were when I was doing what I love. I encourage you to find what it is you love and get involved in those activities – something pretty easy to do at JCU! My JCU experience has truly been defined by the development of the whole person. Whether grabbing dinner with classmates or traveling to a leadership conference, I have guidance and motivation through John Carroll’s Jesuit Mission. Being a man or woman for and with others inspires how I conduct myself during class, work, service, or even just hanging out with friends. Having these values at the center allows me to get involved in activities that I love … Immersion Programs, weekly service, Sorority Life, Student Alumni Association, Leadership Scholars Program, and working as a University Tour Guide. The combination of all of these experiences, the Boler School of Business, and building invaluable relationships with the JCU community, have made my past four years the best.