Majors: Sociology and criminology; minor in entrepreneurship

“I believe that I found my true self at John Carroll, and finding myself allowed me to discover what truly brings me joy: working with students and fighting for justice. I am a very different person today than I was four years ago.”

“I have been involved in Students for Social Justice all four years, as well as working for the Center for Service and Social Action (CSSA). I am a part of the Student Leadership Team for CSSA, and it has been a transformational experience the last two years. It has helped develop my leadership, planning, and public speaking skills. I also enjoy getting to participate in the creation of new training modules and tools for CSSA student liaisons. This is where I find myself most days on campus, and truly defines who I am at John Carroll.”

How would you describe the service culture at JCU?

The service culture at John Carroll is incredible. No other school that I looked at when making my college decision had an office quite like the Center for Service and Social Action. That office, along with the Jesuit mission of John Carroll, has created a selfless and empowered atmosphere on campus that truly cares about fighting for social justice.

I believe that I found my true self at John Carroll, and finding myself allowed me to discover what truly brings me joy: working with students and fighting for justice. I am a very different person today than I was four years ago. I am now confident standing up for what I believe in, and I take the time to reflect on every experience I am lucky enough to have.

Describe in more detail a specific service experience at John Carroll.

One of my favorite service experiences that I’ve participated in has been tutoring in the We The People program. In this program, I go into a fourth grade classroom once a week and teach students about the Constitution. It is a fun and rewarding experience and has even made me think about going into teaching (something I previously never thought about). I really enjoy being with the students and teaching them about something so important in the history of the United States.

Who at JCU have been mentors for you? Share a detailed example of how they helped you.

While there are a countless number of individuals at John Carroll who have helped mentor me over the last four years, Liz Deegan and Andy Costigan have been my greatest mentors and support systems. I have learned so much from these two individuals. John Carroll would not have been the incredible journey it was for me if it were not for these individuals. I have known both Liz and Andy since freshman year, and they have helped me grow and develop into the leader I am today. Liz helped me prepare and secure an internship with The Washington Center last year in Washington, D.C., at the American Bar Association, and it has been one of the best experiences of my life. Andy has helped me grow into my faith and be a leader for others trying to live out my life. I truly believe that all students at John Carroll have an Andy or Liz at the end of their four years. The faculty and staff at John Carroll are with you for the long run, and even after I graduate I know I will be talking with both of these great mentors constantly.

What’s “next” for you? Answer for the rest of your time at JCU or if you already have plans after graduation.

I am currently applying for jobs in Washington, D.C., with the American Bar Association. I am hoping to work for a couple of years before going to law school or graduate school.